4.0 Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 Help

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 Help

So I have done alot of searches on here and none really help me.
I have had a Chatter comming from what I believe is my Clutch. I have had a couple different answers on here, but the flywheel makes the most sense to me, seeing as how the sound stops when I hold the clutch in, anyway on to my question.
I need to know how to get the flywheel out, there is a shop in Edmonton that will resurface it for 30ish bucks, but they don't remove it from the vehicle.
While doing my searches on here, I noticed alot of threads on, I can't get this bolt out. Or is there a trick on sliding the tranny out, or I snapped this bolt.
I need to know what is needed to do this from start to finish and a step by step instruction.
I mean I have so many things running in my head like, do I need to remove the rear or front Driveshafts, can I just support, unbolt and slide the tranny back and get to the flywheel with everything still under it?
Im almost thinking I should try and find a shop that will remove it for me and also resurface it as well. I really don't want to wreck anything, its My DD and its also My baby. I have my brother who will help me, he is a mech, but his mentality is really upsetting to me, he is the kinda guy who is, well if you break it get a new one, well I don't want to break anything to begin with, plus trying to get new parts for this thing seems like a war where I am.
Well any help would be great and thanks in advance.

[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Jeepryder23

Try checking the fluid in the transfer case. Or it could be the throwout bearing.
Jeepryder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepryder23 View Post
Try checking the fluid in the transfer case. Or it could be the throwout bearing.
I just changed the fluid and it didn't improve or make the noise any worse. When I give it gas it chatters. In any gear it chatters. At 1700 Rpm, it has the loudest chatter. When I press the clutch pedal to go into neutral the sound goes away. It makes no noise while running in neutral or when I press the clutch and switch the gears, only while moving. When I gear down the noise is either not there, or not noticable at all, but when I gear down and give it a small amount of gas, the sound arises. It only makes noise on acceleration.
It is not slipping from what I can tell, it has good pick up and go in all gears, including 5th.
And if it was the throwout bearing, I would still have to pull the tranny no?
Oh and its a 95 4.0 I6 with an AX15.
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Jeepryder23

Yes the tranny will have to come out.
Jeepryder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepryder23 View Post
Yes the tranny will have to come out.
This is what makes my questions arise.
Removing the tranny, I need to know all the steps involved in this and all involved in removing the flywheel. If anyone knows a link or has the time and/or patients to help me with a write up or a decent walkthrough, your help would be great. I have all the tools and stands and jacks, but I do not have a tranny jack, I figure a jack with a board bolted onto it would suffice, if not I can get one. Thanks again!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.