4.0 Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 Help

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 Help

So I have done alot of searches on here and none really help me.
I have had a Chatter comming from what I believe is my Clutch. I have had a couple different answers on here, but the flywheel makes the most sense to me, seeing as how the sound stops when I hold the clutch in, anyway on to my question.
I need to know how to get the flywheel out, there is a shop in Edmonton that will resurface it for 30ish bucks, but they don't remove it from the vehicle.
While doing my searches on here, I noticed alot of threads on, I can't get this bolt out. Or is there a trick on sliding the tranny out, or I snapped this bolt.
I need to know what is needed to do this from start to finish and a step by step instruction.
I mean I have so many things running in my head like, do I need to remove the rear or front Driveshafts, can I just support, unbolt and slide the tranny back and get to the flywheel with everything still under it?
Im almost thinking I should try and find a shop that will remove it for me and also resurface it as well. I really don't want to wreck anything, its My DD and its also My baby. I have my brother who will help me, he is a mech, but his mentality is really upsetting to me, he is the kinda guy who is, well if you break it get a new one, well I don't want to break anything to begin with, plus trying to get new parts for this thing seems like a war where I am.
Well any help would be great and thanks in advance.

[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Jeepryder23

Try checking the fluid in the transfer case. Or it could be the throwout bearing.
Jeepryder23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepryder23 View Post
Try checking the fluid in the transfer case. Or it could be the throwout bearing.
I just changed the fluid and it didn't improve or make the noise any worse. When I give it gas it chatters. In any gear it chatters. At 1700 Rpm, it has the loudest chatter. When I press the clutch pedal to go into neutral the sound goes away. It makes no noise while running in neutral or when I press the clutch and switch the gears, only while moving. When I gear down the noise is either not there, or not noticable at all, but when I gear down and give it a small amount of gas, the sound arises. It only makes noise on acceleration.
It is not slipping from what I can tell, it has good pick up and go in all gears, including 5th.
And if it was the throwout bearing, I would still have to pull the tranny no?
Oh and its a 95 4.0 I6 with an AX15.
Unread 08-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Jeepryder23

Yes the tranny will have to come out.
Jeepryder23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepryder23 View Post
Yes the tranny will have to come out.
This is what makes my questions arise.
Removing the tranny, I need to know all the steps involved in this and all involved in removing the flywheel. If anyone knows a link or has the time and/or patients to help me with a write up or a decent walkthrough, your help would be great. I have all the tools and stands and jacks, but I do not have a tranny jack, I figure a jack with a board bolted onto it would suffice, if not I can get one. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.