4.0 head for 4.2 engine anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 head for 4.2 engine anyone?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-15-2001, 04:29 PM   #1
jerk with a jeep

4.0 head for 4.2 engine anyone?

Has anyone installed a 4.0 head on a 4.2?
I wan't to a local dealership "I was there to pick up a part for my YJ" and I asked the guy behind the parts counter if a 4.0 head would fit a 4.2 block. He said no. Today I found information on off road .com that expliains
the process. Is there anyone here that has done this conversion? I think I am going to do it. What do you guys think? There is one thing that concerned me, and that is using high temp epoxy to plug some of the water passages, is there any reason why this would be a problem?

1989 YJ 33's and 4" lift 2"BL 4.2

jerk with a jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2001, 05:07 PM   #2
Darko

i was planning on doing that same conversion.
If I would do it, I would do something else about the water jackets, I dont like the idea of the epoxy either. If you buy a 4.0L cylinder head, make sure you get one newer than 91, and try to grab all the fuel injection stuff to go with it.
Unread 12-15-2001, 06:50 PM   #3
jerk with a jeep

If you get started before me let me know how it goes. I was thinking about going with a Holly four barrel and Clifford research intake and headers.I've used thier stuff before on sixes and had really good luck with it. From your message you feel EFI would be the way to go. When I do it I most likely do it in stages, head first and then carb or EFI.

1989 YJ 4" lift & 2"BL 33" swampers
Unread 12-15-2001, 11:25 PM   #4
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Check out http://monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm for info on converting your 4.2 to 4.0 head.
Sarge37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2001, 05:32 PM   #5
jerk with a jeep

Still contemplating installing a 4.0 head and would like to hear from anyone that has done
this conversion. I would like to know if it will be durable. Has any one had any problems with this conversion, and how has your jeep worked since the conversion? Please let me know.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.