4.0 fuel return line, repair or replace? - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 fuel return line, repair or replace?

I have a 1991 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0. I need to know how to remove the quick disconnect fuel return line off the manifold. There is a tiny pin hole in the line, about 2 down after the bend in the plastic. How would I repair this, or where to buy a new hose assembly? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 04:18 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel line is 26 years old. Just swap it out. You need to use fuel injection rated ethanol rated fuel hose.

I do not remember if the 1991 hose was ethanol rated, but the replacement needs to be, as most gasoline now has 10% government subsidized corn garbage in it.
Drednot and shaggyjim like this.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 04:26 PM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to assume you mean off the fuel rail. To remove the quick connect lines, you need a tool to push the two lock tabs off. You can get it for a few bucks down at your local autoparts store. It usually looks something like this or this. Depending on which one you get, you may have to shorten the tool down so it will fit between the rail and the connector.

The lines are primarily nylon, so they don't really repair easily. You could try cutting the bad section out and just using a hard adapter to join the two sides.

Otherwise, your autoparts store will sell adapters (probably Dorman) which go from quick connect to a normal hose barb. You get one for each end, and get some Fuel Injection Hose (it should say 30R9 on it) if you have MPFI. I believe the 91's were MPFI. If it's TBI, then just normal fuel line hose should be fine (30R7)

It's possible that you can still get factory fuel line, I haven't really looked.

I guess if you want to look pimp, you could also switch to AN fittings.

Edit: Oh, if you go the rubber hose route, you likely want 5/16" hose and barbs.

With your help I will resist the urge to buy a chrome grill guard for yet another day.

Last edited by project_mercy; 08-01-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: hose size

post #4 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 04:39 PM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I looked it up, it looks like you can still get OE fuel lines for it, for a princely sum of $80 for the return line and $63 for the supply line.
Drednot likes this.

With your help I will resist the urge to buy a chrome grill guard for yet another day.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Where? I've called Mopar Parts Overstock, Factory Chrysler Parts, Morris 4x4, Quadratec, Lakeland Chrysler Dodge, Autozone, Orellys. they all say don't have and don't know where to get????
post #6 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The O.D. of this line is: 0.3325" or 8.44mm. I've tried to look on youtube to see how to disconnect and none look like mine.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 05:21 PM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwrangler View Post
Where? I've called Mopar Parts Overstock, Factory Chrysler Parts, Morris 4x4, Quadratec, Lakeland Chrysler Dodge, Autozone, Orellys. they all say don't have and don't know where to get????
Ah, they haven't updated their sites yet. The links above goes to the ones I found.

That said, there is no way in heck I would pay $80 for a fuel line unless i was trying to build a complete resto.

If it just has a hole in the line and it otherwise works perfectly, just cut the line and throw a union in. They should sell them down at any of your local autoparts stores. I think the line is probably 5/16", but you could probably just pop it off and cut the damaged part out. It's broken as it is, so you're not out anything. You want something like this, but proper sized (I think this one is 3/8"): http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...SEName=800-011

Edit: Here's the 5/16" one

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-01.../dp/B000CIV4OG
Rwrangler likes this.

post #8 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 05:42 PM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Edit also, depending on what you end up with, you may want this video:

Rwrangler likes this.

post #9 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

First, thanks a bunch for all the info and video. Why did Jeep make the bends plastic, then into a steel line? Why not a barb the manifold and install a fuel hose. Does it have something to do with heat?
If I cut 1/4" out where the pin hole is, then insert a short piece of fuel hose, how would I secure the hose on the plastic??
post #10 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 06:59 PM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
First, thanks a bunch for all the info and video. Why did Jeep make the bends plastic, then into a steel line? Why not a barb the manifold and install a fuel hose. Does it have something to do with heat?
If I cut 1/4" out where the pin hole is, then insert a short piece of fuel hose, how would I secure the hose on the plastic??
I would just cut the bad chunk out and use the barb like the one I linked above to connect the line back together. No need to muddy the water with hose.

post #11 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The pin hole is right above the tape. So what's the best way to repair?? I forgot how to post photos from photobucket? So I hope the link below works?

http://s79.photobucket.com/user/dhar...tml?sort=3&o=0
post #12 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The pin hole is right above the white piece of tape on the fuel return line.

this is the last time trying to post a photo!!! I give up
post #13 of 29 Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 PM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The pin hole is right above the white piece of tape on the fuel return line.

this is the last time trying to post a photo!!! I give up
You got it!

There's nothing magically special about the angle of that hose, and the connector will spin around fine. You should be able to cut it and just put the straight connector in. Is the hose damaged down at the bottom of the picture though? It looks like it's bubbled up.
Rwrangler likes this.

post #14 of 29 Old 08-02-2017, 08:27 AM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

With those connectors you do not need a special tool.
Push them and hold the plastic piece up against the fitting. Then pull it off.
shaggyjim and Rwrangler like this.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 29 Old 08-03-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

First, a BIG THANKS for the information. I have to drive the Jeep about 8 miles to get it where I can work on it. I tried to tape it but it still leaks. I did put E6000 industrial adhesive on on the pin hole last night at 10:00 pm. The instruction for the E6000, state you have to wait 24 hours for sealing and up to 72 hours for curing? I can't wait that long.
Just another thought? Why can't I remove the plastic part of the hose and quick disconnect off the steel line, then install a rubber fuel hose, and clamp it on the fuel rail end and the other end of the steel line?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.