4.0 Fuel injection swap on a 4.2. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 Fuel injection swap on a 4.2.

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 09-09-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
wilson101
1988 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 Fuel injection swap on a 4.2.

I looked into the FAQ and saw alot of engine swaps and alot of heads swaps.
But i was wondering if it possible to just swap the 4.0 head, fuel injected intake manifold along with all the ecu and wiring harness onto a 4.2 engine.

My only concern is will the distributor from a 4.0 will fit the 4.2 block, since im guessing its what houses the crank angle sensor.

I could compensate for the extra .2 liters by crushing the FPR alittle bit to increase the fuel pressure until i get to the right AFR.

If you havent figured it out i drive a 1988 4.2 L Wrangler

Thanks

wilson101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What you want to do is very common and absolutly possible. the distributor will drop right in and you may not even have to mess with the fuel pressure.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
cbrseadude

You shouldnt have to mess with the fuel pressure like that, it will be close enough. Im looking to do this also, looks like the only special things you need are the front damper and crank sensor mount which is available from several places.
cbrseadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
wilson101
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrseadude View Post
You shouldnt have to mess with the fuel pressure like that, it will be close enough. Im looking to do this also, looks like the only special things you need are the front damper and crank sensor mount which is available from several places.
Front damper? What is that?

Thanks for the info guys.
Unread 09-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
deerslayer123
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wilson, your still gonna need several more parts for that swap. Keep researching. your still gonna need the exhaust manifold, flywheel, 02 sensor, map sensor,etc.. Search for a head off 91-95 as they say it the best head for the swap. It has 7120 cast on the head. There's lot of good info out here and if you google it. Here's a link to a guy hwo did the exact swap you want with parts list and pictures.

Jeep Strokers • 4.0 head and EFI on a 4.2 block

Good luck!!
deerslayer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
cbrseadude

What i mean by special is, parts you cant pirate off of a production vehicle in a junk yard or a vehicle someone is parting out. The damper or dampner, depending on who your are talking to is on the front of the crankshaft, the specialized one allows for a crank sensor to read off of it instead of messing with flywheels and stuff like that. If you google and look, you will find that you really dont need alot of specialized parts, just a few, the rest is production parts that there are tons off out there.
cbrseadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
wilson101
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer123 View Post
Wilson, your still gonna need several more parts for that swap. Keep researching. your still gonna need the exhaust manifold, flywheel, 02 sensor, map sensor,etc.. Search for a head off 91-95 as they say it the best head for the swap. It has 7120 cast on the head. There's lot of good info out here and if you google it. Here's a link to a guy hwo did the exact swap you want with parts list and pictures.

Jeep Strokers • 4.0 head and EFI on a 4.2 block

Good luck!!
Thanks Deerslayer thats exactly what I was looking for. I guess i'll be hitting the junkyard in the next few days.
Unread 10-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

What is the point of swapping the head on a 4.2 to a 4.0? I would think the 4.2 head is better...

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
ElvisV04290
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
What is the point of swapping the head on a 4.2 to a 4.0? I would think the 4.2 head is better...
The 4.2's head has intake ports at a 90 degree angle, while the H.O. 4.0s head has intake ports at ~45 degree angle. What this adds up to is the 4.0 head breaths better and increases engine efficiency, so you get a boost in HP and TQ.
1990 YJ, Colorado Red with 'Laredo' markings, 4.2L, TF999, NP231, Valvoline Syn fluids, Weber 32/36, Nutter Bypass, Dana 30/35, 16" Electric Fan, Optima Yellow Top, 140amp alt., K&N Air Filter, Cherry Bomb muffler, SRC Front Bumper, CH&F Shackles, KC 100w Daylighters, Homemade Lightbar, Rear Aux lights, Cobra CB/PA/WX, 102" Whip Ant., 400 watt power inverter, 2 fire extinguishers, Mobile Internet & WiFi equipped.
Daily Driver since April 23rd, 2003

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club Member www.extremejeepclub.com
Weber 32/36 Install -> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/weber-32-36-install-write-up-382309/
Early YJ Club Member #37
For anyone with a 4.2L --> http://groups.jeepforum.com/258s_Unite
ElvisV04290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

what is the difference in the HP and torque?

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
what is the difference in the HP and torque?
Signifigant, I've heard as much as 50hp, not sure about torque

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.