4.0 Electronic Ignition on 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 Electronic Ignition on 258

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-28-2002, 01:24 PM   #1
CF

4.0 Electronic Ignition on 258

Will an electronic ignition system from a 4.0 work on a 258?
I know I can get the Juice Box for about $130 but I’m on a tight budget here and if I can save a few bucks using salvaged parts I’d rather do that.
Thanks,
CF

Unread 03-28-2002, 01:34 PM   #2
Jeepguy3401

$130 is actually pretty cheap.How much more limited can you get with a jeep.(Just Empty Each Pocket) I just picked my jeep up today from having a new flywheel and ring gear put in for $450. (Be glad you didn't have to put all that money in for not even an upgraded part). Noticed you owned an 87 though, see if you can answer some of my questions. Hey do you still have the stock carb in yours? BTW Funkytown, CA lol...
'87 YJ,4.2L 6cyl(rebuilding someday) On 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, (unlifted, but big lift in store, when I get some $$$)upgraded clutch and brakes, broken loud stereo.(Can't imagine how that....COUGH!..WATER....happened. Haven't used a top doors or windshield in uh,.....hmm.... since midwinter? That sounds right.
Jeepguy3401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2002, 11:32 PM   #3
Mr. Mopar

i dont think so you can use the parts off the 4.0 because that ignition system works with the jeps computer.
Unread 03-29-2002, 01:54 PM   #4
CF

Hey Jeepguy,
The Jeep sees the red line with no problem so I’m not willing to plunk down $130. but if I come across a good HEI distributor that will work while scouring the junkyards I’ll do it.

I just took up skiing and it’s getting expensive. (Good thing I started towards the end of the year.) I just spent $230 on a Thuele box. Cause ya can’t fit me, three chicks, their luggage, and skis etc. in a Wrangler. And I’ll need new tires next winter. What’s that gonna be after mounting, balancing and alignment, another $450?

I’m also building a EFI 5.0HO for my 67’ Mustang. Gonna mate it w/an AOD. With the increased power I’ll need to upgrade suspension and braking etc. This is why I’m on such a tight budget. The 5.0/AOD conversion is eating up the car funds big time.

It’d be cool to do a 5.0/T5 on the jeep.

oh yeah, its the stock carb (i think)

Mr.Mopar, (4.0 ignit uses computer.) Good point. I wonder if it can be bypassed. does is not use vacuum for timing adavance?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.