4.0 Detonating/Knocking While Accelerating...Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 Detonating/Knocking While Accelerating...Help!

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Stingray427

4.0 Detonating/Knocking While Accelerating...Help!

My Jeep runs great thankfully but I have noticed that I am getting a slight detonation/knocking sound when accelerating. I know these things are computer controlled so I guess you can adjust the timing but it sounds like it may be doing some damage so I am wondering what to do.

Everyone says premium fuel is a waste of money in these things but I am wondering if the lower octane fuel is part or all of the problem, any thoughts?

Stingray427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

This post has been deleted by Michaelgoesrawr. Reason: Wrong info. Apologies.
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
Stingray427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
From my little experience I'd say you need to check your timing.
Can you adjust the timing on a 1993 4.0 YJ? I was under the impression that the computer controlled everything.
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
95yj0645
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A 93 has a distributor. You can adjust timing. And as far as premium fuel goes I wouldnt say its a waste, I will have to run it after my 4.0 stroker is built due to high compression. I can promise you I would know if I was running 87 or 93 after that haha. Try setting ignition timing and post your results. I can get instructions for you off of mitchell or my haynes manual if you need it.
95yj0645 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray427 View Post
Can you adjust the timing on a 1993 4.0 YJ? I was under the impression that the computer controlled everything.
No you can not. The distributer has a tang under the hold down clamp that is cast into the distributer. It keeps it in one spot.
I suppose if you cut off that tang then could, but I would not recomend it.
I would start with giving it a tune up.
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
No you can not. The distributer has a tang under the hold down clamp that is cast into the distributer. It keeps it in one spot.
I suppose if you cut off that tang then could, but I would not recomend it.
I would start with giving it a tune up.
x2

And keep standard 87 octane gas. The higher octane is for higher compression ratios and if you use it you will probably have some ping.

Does the "knock" go away after a certain rpm? My 4.0L sounds like a diesel at idle but goes away when the rpm's increase. I've heard it's due to piston slap but I'm not sure.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You are either running lean or too much advance. You need to check your fault codes. The biggest input for advance is your map sensor. A higher octane gas will fix preignition but it shouldn't be necessary.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Without going to a big long explanation.

Timing is controlled by the notches in the flywheel and the crank sensor/crank sensor location. In open loop the ECM reads algoritms cal`ed into the ECM. Once operating temp is achieved it reverts to closed loop and the ECM reads primarily off the O2 sensor with additional inputs from the MAP, Coolant, TPS etc. These inputs are what the ECM uses to adjust timing and fuel mapping. At 75/80% throttle the ECM goes back into open loop and reads primarly off the output voltage of the MAP sensor. It adjusts the injector duty cycle and timing based again on ca-led in algorithms within the ECM.

The dizzy does essentially nothing and should not be a consideration in your case.

More likely is the fuel blend. Refineries continually adjust the fuel blends to change the volatility based on customer needs. Hot vs. cold at it`s simplest. % of additives % of ethanol etc.

I can watch my A/F ratio gauge and see immediate changes when filling up. After a few miles I can see the ECM readust it`s mapping and the A/F ratios come back to normal. Most cases a fill up that has ethanol will cause the engine to run lean.

Higher octane fuel are not a waste. However feeding an engine higher octane then it needs is. In your case I`d try a different brand of fuel and if that doesn't work then a bump in octane.

Overly simplified answer with plenty of holes for you guys to shoot through. But the basics are there and they are correct.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You may also have some carbon build-up in the combustion chamber which will bump up your compression a bit and cause hot spots which lead to pre-combustion, (pinging). Give it a Seafoam treatment down the throttle body to clean things up and rule that out as a cause.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Stingray427

I have recently done a tuneup as far as new plugs and wires, air filter, etc.

I also did Seafoam twice through the vacuum line and one through the tank. I also did one in the oil and changed the oil shortly thereafter.

Didn't change the distributor cap so don't know if that is part of the problem.

When i changed the plugs the old ones didnt look too bad.

As for premium fuel or not, I have a quick question. As I have posted in other threads, for some unknown reason my Jeep is real fast. I don't know if it is a stroker or not but this thing really moves and hitting close to 100 MPH is not out of the question. I recently drove from So Cal San Diego to Nor Cal and driving up through the mountains I was hitting 85+ through the mountains so I dont know whats up with my Jeep but maybe whatever is under the hood needs the higher octane fuel? Thoughts?
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Since you are not sure of what's in the engine as far as compression goes, I would go ahead with the higher octane; it certainly would not be a waste to use in an engine that requires it!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Stingray427

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
Since you are not sure of what's in the engine as far as compression goes, I would go ahead with the higher octane; it certainly would not be a waste to use in an engine that requires it!
Yeah I was just hoping there was a less expensive solution to this pinging on acceleration... cause have you seen the price of premium in California...Yikes!!!
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

I run a 5.0 liter stroker. It`s fed premium but it has the timing bumped up 5/6 degrees.

You might want to try moving the IAT to the airbox instead of the intake manifold. Fools the ECM and adds a little more fuel.
Unread 02-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
Stingray427

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
I run a 5.0 liter stroker. It`s fed premium but it has the timing bumped up 5/6 degrees.

You might want to try moving the IAT to the airbox instead of the intake manifold. Fools the ECM and adds a little more fuel.
How do I move the IAT?

Also what the heck is an IAT?
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Intake Air Temp sensor. Single wire sensor by the throttle body on top of the intake manifold.

Moving it from the hot intake manifold to the cooler airbox tricks the ECM into thinking the incoming intake charge is cooler. The ECM algorithm reads the sensor signal then pumps more fuel by increasing the injector duty cycle........Time the injector is open.........

I`ve seen folks simply drill a hole in the airbox and epoxy the sensor in. I turned an aluminum bung on a lathe then welded it to my cold air intake tube. Guessing your set up is a little different though.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/IAT_sensor.html

http://markism.net/jeep_IAT_relocate.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.