4.0 cranks but wont start unless starter fluid used - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 cranks but wont start unless starter fluid used

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
romo1000
1991 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 cranks but wont start unless starter fluid used

ok so i have a 91 yj with 4.0. this is an intermiten problem. the engine will crank but will not start unless you play with it for awhile. the check engine light does come on. there is spark. it looks to me like their is fuel I can get it to spray out of the check valve. sometimes is starts right up, cold, hot, just shut off, been sitting all day anytime. other times it just cranks. when it just cranks I can spray some starter fluid in the throttle body and get it to start and pump the gas a bit and it will run fine after that. can there be an intermitten problem with the fuel pump?. this one is stumping me. I've looked at the thread on the ecm but my check engine light comes on. I've searched a number of different ways but am not finding a similar thread. it's like it doesn't get gas until it's running when the problem happens. thanks for any help.

romo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would attach a fuel pressure gauge and see what's happening in that area.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have any codes showing ?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Uberjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does it sputter for a bit and then die? Or just won't start randomly after shutdown? Any time I have a fuel pump fail, I get the death sputter as the fuel pressure starts to drop, then dead until you whack the tank. Easy way to tell if pump is even spinning as get under the back end and have a friend turn the key to the run position (not crank the motor) and listen for the fuel pump in the tank. About three seconds of Whrrrrr and a click is normal.
My Jeep has only ever killed three things. A deer, a dog, and my wallet.
*retired* Low Output Jeep Club # 135
Uberjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
romo1000
1991 YJ Wrangler 

it is throwing some codes but nothing that seems to relate. but like I said sometimes it starts fine sometimes it doesn't and when it doesn't all I have to do is spray some starter fluid in the throttle body and it starts. then it will run fine. Can a fuel pump go out intermittenly. I've only seen where they work or don't work. And if it was a fuel pump why would the jeep run after I got it started. When the problem is happening I'm getting power to the fuel pump with the key on and power to the third pin when your cranking the engine.
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
romo1000
1991 YJ Wrangler 

it just started dieing again after starting fine all morning weird. when I started it this time it idled at like 500 rmps kinda puttering and then died this went on for a couple of minutes each time I tried to start it would do that so I sprayed some starter fluid in and after about 30 seconds and more spray i got it to run. when it's sputtering if you try and give it gas it just dies. once you can get it passed the initial sputtering it runs fine. it's almost like it gets totally flooded and has to clear out then goes but I could be completely wrong on that one.
Unread 08-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A pump can be intermittent but you won't know if that's it without some testing.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romo1000 View Post
ok so i have a 91 yj with 4.0. this is an intermiten problem. the engine will crank but will not start unless you play with it for awhile. the check engine light does come on. there is spark. it looks to me like their is fuel I can get it to spray out of the check valve. sometimes is starts right up, cold, hot, just shut off, been sitting all day anytime. other times it just cranks. when it just cranks I can spray some starter fluid in the throttle body and get it to start and pump the gas a bit and it will run fine after that. can there be an intermitten problem with the fuel pump?. this one is stumping me. I've looked at the thread on the ecm but my check engine light comes on. I've searched a number of different ways but am not finding a similar thread. it's like it doesn't get gas until it's running when the problem happens. thanks for any help.
Try starting it witout the air filter element in it. If it does start and run well....you know you just found your problem.

When was the last time the in-line fuel filter was changed? If it is clogged up you lose fuel pressure and get these symptom also. You can cehck it by replacing the filter with a bit of fuel line hose and two clamps. If it starts and runs fine then you know the filter was clogged and was causing your grief.

The '91 is the first year for MPFI if I remember right. There is an Idle Air Control (IAC) sensor in the back of the TB. I have removed them (2 torx screws IIRC) cleaned the IAC sensor itself and the core it sits in with carb cleaner and some fine steel wool. That may solve the start/idle problem. DON"T pull the probe in the IAC out at all or you ruin it.

Make sure the MAP sensor which is mounted in the middle of the firewall is getting good vacuum also.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
romo1000
1991 YJ Wrangler 

we'll symptoms changed a bit. It just died while I was driving it this time. tried starting immediately and nothing. So I sprayed some starter fluid in and it idled at 500 or so then I hit the gas and it ran. Got me home. I changed the fuel filter last year probably has 10k on it since. With the air filter disconnected it doesn't fix the problem. I will clean the IAC and make sure the MAP is getting good vacuum. This is such a weird problem. The intermitten ones stink.
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would still check the fuel filter,even though it only has 10k on it it can be clogged up easily in an old tank from rust and dirt..etc..do like was said,by-pass the filter and see if that makes a difference.

I would do what laybackman suggested as a process of elimination to target your problem,too many people just geuss and replace things spending alot of money,but if they would of diagnosed in simple ways could of saved a bunch
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another possibility is the imfamous Crank Position Sensor. Some times do this when they go bad. They don't just die they torment you for a while and then they die.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
romo1000
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so the last 2 times that it happened I wacked on the bottom of my gas tank skid and it started. Now this could just be coincidence so I'm going to try that a little more when it happens and if 2-3 more times it works I'm gonna drop the tank make sure everything is cool (wires and the filter sock) and if it is try a new pump.
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
Socaljeep1

2006 TJ Wrangler 

my brother-in-laws YJ had a very, very similar problem. it turned out that the YJ has two fuel relays and both were bad.

/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

http://www.keystoneoffroadclub.com/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keystone-Off-Road-Club
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/group...an-jeep-group/
Socaljeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 03:42 AM   #14
Alvy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Romo I would take Alfons' advice and put a fuel pressure guage on at the fuel rail and measure it while the failure happens. You may indeed have a bad pump but thats a lot of work and $$$$ if its not a bad pump. Measure twice, cut once.
1993 YJ, AX15, 4.0L, 8.8 LSD w/3.73's, Lock-rite locker in front, S.O.A. JB4x4 high steer bracket, BrandonYJ 1" Booms, Rugged Ridge SS S.Y.E. XJ drive shaft, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's, Chevy Cavy seats, woods camo paint, 200,000 miles and still goin strong!
1993 Cherokee Country AW4,4.0L, 3.55's, 4" blocks in back, 4" TJ springs front, 31x10.50 BFG A/T, Ford Red paint, recently finished with 4wd conversion
Alvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 06:24 AM   #15
romo1000
1991 YJ Wrangler 

alvy I did do that when it happened a couple of times ago and I wasn't getting any reading out of the gauge when cranking the engine. I figured I had a bad gauge or it wasn't hooking up correctly. so I tried the squirt test and fuel did squirt out but that don't mean alot. I'm gonna get a different fuel pressure gauge today and try that again the next time it shuts down or doesn't start. thats the really hard part is it's not all the time. so I have to wait till it doesn't start to test stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.