4.0 Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 Conversion

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
sethr21785
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 Conversion

So i have a 1990 Wrangler and have been looking to get a rebuilt 4.2 but after doing alot of research i have decided to do a 4.0 swap. I found a rebuilt motor for sale that was currently installed on a 94 wrangler. I drove the four hours to check it out and it ran great, Paid a down payment on it and a week later was driving back to pick it up. I have done alot of research and made many phone calls and there are still some things i am not 100 percent sure about.

1. My jeep currently has an automatic transmission and the donor motor and wiring harness + ecu is out of the 94 with a manual. is this going to matter?

2. Was told by Bennie at hesco i need to get a speed sensor, do i need this?

3. Also found out that the transmission kick down setup was differnt on the newer jeep motor and i would have to buy a cable for it for
$68. There are not many writeups on here about this swap with a automatic transmission so any help would be great.

I think i have a pretty good grasp on the rest of the issues commonly brought up in all the writeups i have read (cps, flexplate/starter, inline fuel pump, throttle cable ect.) Any help/input with these issues or anything else would be very appreciated. THanks in advance.

sethr21785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
sethr21785
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So after more reading i am going to need a speed sensor adapter from hesco.
Unread 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
sethr21785
1990 YJ Wrangler 

bump for some advice....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.