4.0 clutch on 4.2 flywheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 clutch on 4.2 flywheel

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 02-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
rdj59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 clutch on 4.2 flywheel

Hi, Clutch went out on my 87 YJ with the BA10 and am swapping in a 95 ax15/231 in its place. Can i order a clutch kit for a 95 YJ and have the clutch pressure plate bolt up to the 4.2 flywheel? Are the clutches the same with the only difference is one comes with the hydraulic to bearing and the other has a std to bearing?

Thanks,
Jeramie

rdj59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Douglas S.

I bought a clutch kit for a 97 (I swapped in a 97 trans) at Napa when I did my swap (very recently). It worked perfectly. The clutch and pressure plate are identical in both kits, it's the throwout bearing and slave that change.

Is the 95 external slave?
Unread 02-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
rdj59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it is. It's out of a 95 XJ. Just have to reclock the tcase and i'm ready for the swap.

Thanks,
Jeramie
rdj59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Order the kit for the newer tranny.
Be sure to change out the pilot bearing. They are different sizes for the tow trannys. The clutch kit comes with it.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Order the kit for the newer tranny.
Be sure to change out the pilot bearing. They are different sizes for the tow trannys. The clutch kit comes with it.
The pilot bearing in the kit likely will not fit his engine. The 4.0 and 4.2 have different sizes IIRC (pilot bearing O.D.). There is also a difference in the I.D. on the external and internal slave transmissions.

I ended up turning down my own from a piece of oilite bronze, none of the parts places near me could get the proper CJ one.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.