4.0 blowby question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 blowby question...

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 blowby question...

First of all, this isn't just another "why is there oil in my air filter?" thread.

I've known about the air filter, PCV valve issues for a while now. After going over the PCV system, replacing all the grommets, tubes, and clearing them of oi, my problem is that it STILL blows oil into the air filter. I know the line is clear of oil because I can feel suction in the line and the grommet going into the valve cover is brand new and free of oil.
I read somewhere that if it is still doing this after fixing the valve cover issues, then I have excessive blowby and my piston rings are shot. Is this true? Could I be missing something?

Unread 06-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geusey View Post
First of all, this isn't just another "why is there oil in my air filter?" thread.

I've known about the air filter, PCV valve issues for a while now. After going over the PCV system, replacing all the grommets, tubes, and clearing them of oi, my problem is that it STILL blows oil into the air filter. I know the line is clear of oil because I can feel suction in the line and the grommet going into the valve cover is brand new and free of oil.
I read somewhere that if it is still doing this after fixing the valve cover issues, then I have excessive blowby and my piston rings are shot. Is this true? Could I be missing something?
Did you remove the valve cover, flip it over, remove the two "splash" towers attached to the inside of the cover and then clean the baffles out as well? I ask as you did not specifically state this, plus your rig does not have an actual PCV valve, it is a simple restricted orifice elbow, no valve. Looks identical to a PCV valve, but not. These baffles will clog over time and cause this issue.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Did you remove the valve cover, flip it over, remove the two "splash" towers attached to the inside of the cover and then clean the baffles out as well? I ask as you did not specifically state this, plus your rig does not have an actual PCV valve, it is a simple restricted orifice elbow, no valve. Looks identical to a PCV valve, but not. These baffles will clog over time and cause this issue.
Yes I did. It's perfectly clear, thanks for asking. i forgot to include that I did that.
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geusey View Post
Yes I did. It's perfectly clear, thanks for asking. i forgot to include that I did that.
Well, usually this will fix these type of issues. I would suggest that your next move would be to perform a compression test so that you know what you are dealing with.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.