4.0 ax15 to dana 300 problems.Need help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 ax15 to dana 300 problems.Need help please

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

4.0 ax15 to dana 300 problems.Need help please

I posted this in cj forum but being out of a 94 YJ I thought maby someone here could help me.I have been working on this swap into my 78 cj7 with a early YJ tub now for weeks in the evenings and weekends.Every time I think I am getting close I run into a problem. After finally getting the right clocking ring and ordering seals and getting them in I was going to put transfer case in awhile ago.First the tc shifter bracket is hitting floor cross brace which I can fix with a hammer or sawzall. Thats not whats bothering me.I am just now to where the threaded studs of the transfer case are touching the ax15 holes so I have probably an inch or so farther to slide up snug to the transmission and the TC shifter bracket is only about 1/4" from hitting the transmission on the side where there is a bolt.I see no way for it to go on? I know some of you have mounted a Dana 300 to an AX15.So please tell me what the heck is going on here before I give up.I have seen numerous threads about this swap that never mention this problem.Would appreciate any help here.Here is a pic I took through the tunnel showing where it is going to hit.I dont even have it clocked up level.It is clocked to factory 23 or so.

ymurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Had a couple guys from the CJ forum said they had no trouble mounting theirs.What am I doing wrong?
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Does anyone here have a picture of a Dana 300 mounted to an AX15 so I can see whats going on?
Unread 02-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

You can see in this pic where I have the studs mounted.If I go to the next set of holes it seems to me that would make it even worse.Seems it would hit even harder plus would really hit the tub.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Would love to get this mounted today before I give up on it.
Unread 02-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

I cant see no other way,Going to cut the ear off and weld another ear on closer and shorten the rod to work and make some new brass bushings on the lathe.
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you're going to make due with what you have. I know when swapping non stock parts into another vehicle you have to "make" things work and "finesse" some stuff.

I found this thread in the YJ forum but it's a flipped D300 with the AX-15. The shifter that you're having trouble with is on the bottom side.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...37/index2.html

Our YJ's have a drivers side diff drop versus the CJ pass. side diff drop.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

I called Novak today.They said if you index transfer case to about factory angle like I have it you have to cut the ear off..If you clock it one set of holes up or more it will clear..Not sure if will clear tub when clocked..Thats my fault though,When I made my trans mount I put my motor level and made a mount that thick.The guy at Novak said The Jeep engine needs to be tilted back about 4. I didnt know that so now I have to cut my tranny mount out and start over. I always thought you wanted your engine level?
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

PM answered
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.