Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

4.0 on 4.2 Intake Probelms

745 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tvo222 
#1 ·
During the 4.o head swap onto a 4.2 block, I ran into a problem with the intake manifold fitting onto the new head. Wondering if anyone has run into the same problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks

#2 ·
tvo222 said:
During the 4.o head swap onto a 4.2 block, I ran into a problem with the intake manifold fitting onto the new head. Wondering if anyone has run into the same problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks
I know that the exhaust manifold doesn't match up, but the intake should line right up.

#4 ·
I ran into the same problem.

Are you installing the 4.2L carburated intake or a 4.0L fuel injected intake? Because of my cash flow I am staying with the 4.2L intake. What you have to do is this. Because the 4.0L head is significantly higher than the 4.2L, the intake manifold has to be raised as well. Take a dremmel, or a round file will do, and notch out a round spot underneath of the hole where the head dowl would normally fit into the intake manifold. This will provide a little resting area on which the manifold can rest on top of the dowl pins portruding out of the head. Basically it's just a matter of eyeing it up and finding what you think will work.
If this picture doesn't work go to this sight and scroll down to see what I mean.
www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm
Hope this helps.

Mopar MPI Kit on 4.0L Head Alignment Pins

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.