4.0 or 4.2??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 or 4.2???

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There are no good shops in Cockysville. I used to live there. Grew up not far from there actually and can still be found there a few times a month. Your best bet is to do it yourself. Any shop that does know what they are doing will charge an arm and a leg. And possibly your first born.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
1987 YJ Wrangler 

it actually interesting because in 87 and 88 the 4.2 had a plactic valve cover and yours has the aluminum it wasnt until 89 and 90 where jeep converted it to the aluminum because the plastic would warp under heat and cause the thing to leak oil but i would check to see if thats the original motor but with the things done to it i would say it is possible that the PO did an aluminum valve cover swap on the original engine
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 758879 View Post
it actually interesting because in 87 and 88 the 4.2 had a plactic valve cover and yours has the aluminum it wasnt until 89 and 90 where jeep converted it to the aluminum because the plastic would warp under heat and cause the thing to leak oil but i would check to see if thats the original motor but with the things done to it i would say it is possible that the PO did an aluminum valve cover swap on the original engine
my 87 has a factory aluminum valve cover, some have it some don't.
but the OP does have an aftermarket valve cover, the insignia on it is omix ada

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

As you've already learned, you have a 4.2, not the 4.0. Also, as you've found out, that is an aftermarket valve cover. As for the carb, the connections don't match the Motorcraft 2150 I have in my '87, so I'm going to guess you have the Weber 36/38.

Tuning the carb is not that tough of a job. Do some Youtube searching and you'll find some great videos on how to make the adjustments.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My 87 has aluminum also
Unread 12-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Ok I just recently purchased a 1987 YJ Wrangler Sport, i bought it for 2400$ which to me wasnt that bad and i am going to be using it as my daily. The issue im having is that all the emission controls have been striped of the motor, it dont bother me really but since i can look and clearly see that the motor has had someone in it....idk for sure if its the 4.2 that came with the jeep or the 4.0

Im new to the Jeeps..Sorta, my dad had a couple Willis Jeeps a 12v and a 24v mil specs and ive done Mud Pit Jeep ( in Ms and La )....

also ontop of just getting into this stuff, i just moved last week to MD and have no idea were good places are to get work done here since all my tools and welding machines are back in Mississippi lol
Its not a weber that I recognize. The air cleaner is a weber style though. Look around on it and it will have a name on ot
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #22
Kingston
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thanx for yalls input, currently im at a stalemate, the jeep is at my GF's parents since my complex would tow it without a Tag....and i just moved here the 28 of last month and in the process of changeing my DL and insurance over to it....which is funny....my insurance had me pull out a 55k policy out on this jeep lol....evil thought lol........anyways i wanna get to work on this jeep but weather here sucks and i dont have a shop nor the tools to work on it....so MOST will have to be hired out...imma find a sears and save up for the mechanics tool set to get a complete full set of tools i need to get started again here.

to agree with previous statements about the motor, its a aftermarket Valve cover yes...and the Carb is aftermarket...idk what yet not till i go take a look when we visit her parents again.
also, im sure yall already know but im wanting to put offroad lights and some better drive lights on here...maybe some KC daylighters ( flood ) for driver lights and KC daylighters ( long ) for offroad use. Now the big question is...do they make a GOOD AFFORDABLE Alternator for this? since ill have lights and a Sound System in the jeep, or maybe another vehicles alternator will drop in? I use to own a CB Store so ive gone as far as dropping 4 18 wheeler ALTs in a custom belt n pulley system in a Suburban before but idk wanna do that with this jeep lol i wanna use the KISS method on all that i do here
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, search it up. Tons of alts you can put in for more power
Unread 12-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
nagel
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your compression. I just yanked out a 4.2 for excessive blow-by. Worn rings let exhaust gasses past, which pushes oil up and out the valve cover aka that back "filter" (mine happened to be placed in the front hole, but same thing). I know, my PO had done a similar thing to my jeep. Lost a quart of oil each ride between burning some and losing the rest.
nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #25
Kingston
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ok so i went and took some pictures of the carb, a couple things that the guy pointed out to me that the PO had done when we removed all the emissions stuff, can someone tell me WTF is the yellow Arrow pointing to and if the Bolt used as a Plug is ok ( red )
photo-2.jpg  
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #26
Kingston
1987 YJ Wrangler 

found the name but nothing else that i can see has any markings of what size, also if i remember correctly in picture 2.....i do believe the choke is stuck open.... im use to deallin with 4 barrel edelbrocks in holleys lol
photo-1.jpg  
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #27
Kingston
1987 YJ Wrangler 

pic 2
photo-6.jpg  
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #28
Kingston
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ok so heres were stuff gets retarded....im not above Jerry rigging, but only for a Temp thing lol ok so i got this line shown in the Pix that has a stick used a plug lol and in Side 2 is were it leads to the carb...can i just take the hose off n plug it at the carb or atleast shorten the line and plug it correctly? also out the front the carb theres a split of 3....one is not pluged as well...does it need it?
photo-3.jpg   photo-4.jpg   photo-5.jpg  
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #29
Kingston
1987 YJ Wrangler 

just some more pix of the carb..
photo-9.jpg   photo-7.jpg   photo-10.jpg  
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #30
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, someone called it, a weber. You missed taking a pic of the side with the linkage which would male it easier to yell what model weber bit I believe whoever said weber 32/36 is right. That fist hose with a plug in it is a vacuum source that was plugged

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.