3rd Gear Grinding?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3rd Gear Grinding??

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-21-2001, 10:44 PM   #1
nole jeeper

3rd Gear Grinding??

I have a '94 YJ with a 5 spd. man. tranny. Just the other day it started grinding a little everytime I shift into 3rd gear (both up and down shifting) It only does this in 3rd and still gets into gear, it just grinds.
Any ideas?

nole jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2001, 11:26 PM   #2
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

check the fluid for the clutch. If it is low then pull off your slave cylinder and check for leaks. if you have any leaks replace the leaking parts. If that does not work then the problem is in the trans.
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2001, 11:43 PM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a synchro!
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2001, 02:35 PM   #4
jeeptuff

I would have to agree with Osburn, I just in the last couple months went through the same thing. At the time I expected the slave, but in the 93's they have the hyd. throw-out which in turn is your slave too. You have to yank the tranny to do it, so I figured I would slap in the Centerforce Dual Friction too. Got all done and the tranny stabbed back in and guess what? Yep had to yard it all back out and tear into the tranny. What a *****, from a Sunday morning job to a full week. Bearing and syncro kit a gear cluster and 5th gear its self. Total cost about $900 bucks, I just hated pulling everything twice..
Unread 04-22-2001, 03:35 PM   #5
Cody_91YJ

I'd agree, if it was the clutch or throw-out bearings...it'd be grinding in Rev, and first. Plus be hard as hell to shift.

I just had all that replaced like JeepTuff here, but fortunately that solved the problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.