3rd gear grind - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3rd gear grind

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
divmat

3rd gear grind

My 88 grinds a little going into 3rd. Was told the syncro's are worn and might need replacing. It's mainly a ranch jeep and won't see lots of highway time. Is it ok to leave it "as is" for awhile? Actually, it's really just a slight
grind into 3rd, not real bad at all.

divmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
tc90xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Mine does the same thing, if you pause between second and third and ease it into 3rd, it won't grind. But if your slamming through gears its an inevitable grind.
tc90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
divmat

Noticed the same thing. Sometimes you just don't always pause though.
I don't think it will hurt anything, but thought I'd ask.
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
tc90xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

It wont really hurt anything for what your doing with it
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I personally deal with a notchy/grinding shift into 2nd gear - pausing to let the synchros align the gears sometimes helps. I would prefer to take it in to have it checked out but that has to wait until I can afford it. For now I've learned to double-clutch when shifting to avoid any grinding.

A little grinding is still grinding, and it won't get better. If you can double-clutch just right the transmission will shift as smooth as butter and buy you some time before you have to take it in.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
tc90xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

So i know this is going to be a stupid question, but how exactly do you perform a double clutch? Can you explain in detail?
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Double clutching gets around the need for a synchro - it was the norm before the invention of the synchro. It works by shifting at the RPM sweetspot where the gears are lined up. You depress the clutch to shift into neutral, release the clutch, press it in again before shifting into the next gear - in the sweetspot range. For my problem with 2nd gear, I rev the engine a past 2k before starting the double clutch motion so that by the time I shift into 3rd the RPMs have dropped to the sweetspot range (around 1900-2000RPM). You know when you've got it right because the shift lever will slide right into gear. If you miss it you will feel resistance like you aren't clutching at all. If this happens you can rev the engine to the right range and slide the lever into gear or let the vehicle slow down until the gears mesh. With a little practice it can become second nature and be done efficiently. I've hit this spot on in the sweetspot a few times and it shifted smooth as butter.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did you try changing the tranny fluid with pennzoil synchromesh? That helped my synchro problem

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
divmat

I'll give that a try also. Thanks
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
tc90xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
Double clutching gets around the need for a synchro - it was the norm before the invention of the synchro. It works by shifting at the RPM sweetspot where the gears are lined up. You depress the clutch to shift into neutral, release the clutch, press it in again before shifting into the next gear - in the sweetspot range. For my problem with 2nd gear, I rev the engine a past 2k before starting the double clutch motion so that by the time I shift into 3rd the RPMs have dropped to the sweetspot range (around 1900-2000RPM). You know when you've got it right because the shift lever will slide right into gear. If you miss it you will feel resistance like you aren't clutching at all. If this happens you can rev the engine to the right range and slide the lever into gear or let the vehicle slow down until the gears mesh. With a little practice it can become second nature and be done efficiently. I've hit this spot on in the sweetspot a few times and it shifted smooth as butter.
Ok I do that sometimes, I just didn't know that was called double clutching.
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
tc90xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13 View Post
Did you try changing the tranny fluid with pennzoil synchromesh? That helped my synchro problem
Also, just try replacing your fluid with some BRAND new 75w-90 gear oil. I just did this on Sunday and I have already noticed a reasonable improvement in shifting! I think someone put 10w30 in it, which i dont understand at all. I was going to put redline 75w90 in it, but that stuff is 12 bucks a quart and I can't afford that right now.
Unread 08-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
riverboy6
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I also grind slightly shifting into all gears. I changed out the tranny fluid to syncromesh(sp?), but still does it. I also noticed it's hard to shift into first sometimes, so I go to 2nd gear first, then back to first and then let the clutch out. So today when I tried this, as I was pushing back into first from 2nd, at a dead stop, it made the same grinding noise. Grinding going into first at a dead stop? Would that be syncros?...
riverboy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
goAF
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes
goAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
riverboy6
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, that was fast. Thanks for the reply!
riverboy6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.