36x13.5 iroks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 36x13.5 iroks?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
z71offroader

36x13.5 iroks?

hey guys, been a while since ive been on here. probably since ive been busy with my new truck. anyhow, just this week we went to big bend here in texas for vaca and took the jeep along and did some minor wheeling (ill post some pics once i have them up in the wheeling thread). well everyday there it was dry as can be and had fun doing some crawling and was a bunch of fun. but the last day it rained and we ended up getting it quite muddy, and now im quite sick of the mud, at first it was fun but now im having more fun crawling.

so im considering getting iroks, thinking the bias 36x13.5s but not sure what size rim, probably just the 15s i ges? also what kind of rims should i get? 10" wides? beadlocks? so i want yall opinions on this.

btw i will also be gettins somce BFG all terrains soon to match my spare for street tires since the boggers wear to fast and dont wanna waste these iroks either.

93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
yarosig

I think a 8" wide rim would be ideal for a 13.5 tire. It holds the bead better but you're getting beadlocks anyway. Plus you will also have more rimprotection with the 8" wide.
Unread 12-31-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71offroader
im considering getting iroks, thinking the bias 36x13.5s but not sure what size rim, probably just the 15s i ges? also what kind of rims should i get? 10" wides? beadlocks? so i want yall opinions on this.

You won't regret getting some Iroks. I have the bias 40's and love 'em. They have been to Moab, and all kinds of wheeling here on the East Coast. I don't drive mine on the street though.

I went with the Rockstomper beadlocks. If you get weld on ones make sure to get good penetration so they do not leak.

8" wide wheels is what I used. After the plate is welded on it will make the rim wider.

Good luck, Doug

wrangler4.jpg

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
z71offroader

thanks for the replys guys! so 8" wides would work best? if i get beadlocks i would get wheels that already had them on them, not the weld ons, anyone suggest any good wheels that already have beadlocks on them?
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
Unread 12-31-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is allways these . Doug

http://www.staunproducts.com/beadlock.php

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This a buddy of mines rig who I sometimes wheel with & runs the 36" Iroks. They perform pretty well.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #7
z71offroader

joe- do u know what kind and size those wheels are?

Unread 01-01-2007, 02:05 AM   #8
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

currently i use 35" bfg allterrains on the road and 36" bias iroks off road. both are mounted on 17x9 MT IIs and they work great. allot of people think you cant air down on 17s but you can just fine. they have the same small inner lip as 15s. other people site that the rim sits lower to the ground and will get scuffed up easier. this is true, however they bulg alot and are hard to scuff. if you run two sets who cares. my street wheels still look perfect.

im using the bias which when viewed side-by-side with the radials, marked with the same size, are taller and leaner and the radials are shorter and fatter. the radials are also quite a lot heavier.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarosig
I think a 8" wide rim would be ideal for a 13.5 tire. It holds the bead better but you're getting beadlocks anyway. Plus you will also have more rimprotection with the 8" wide.
how do you figure? have you even seen this tire mounted on an 8" wide wheel? they have a huge bulge on a 9". printed on the tire itself recomends a 10" wide wheel. how do you figure it will hold a bead better with that narrow of a wheel? have you tried this tire itself on different wheel widths and tested it? as far as rim protection the bulge is so huge on a 9" wide that i have a hard time trying to mar the rim on rocks.

Last edited by fratis; 01-01-2007 at 04:24 PM..
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2007, 02:36 AM   #10
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No I don't, but I should be able to find out tomorrow. I spent the last couple days in Johnson Valley/Hammers with him & a few other friends, but I came home early & he's still there wheelin'.

I'll give chef a call tomorrow.
Unread 01-01-2007, 02:42 AM   #11
welchct
1998 ZJ 

well I have had both 36x12.5R15 SX's and 42x14R15 IROK's. and can say the IROK's are a much better tire! the side walls are thicker, tread deeper, side lugs bigger and plus they are just sick in the rocks. but I dought they will do good on road at all! my SX's suck on road it is almos unbarable to drive on the high way with them and the IROK's are even more agresave so I can only amagine.

Oh an just so you know how bad *** they are I sprang one of my fingers rolling my 42's around. I got my middle and pointer stuck in between the lugs and it as the tire was rolling it bent it backward, they grip!!!

also I would look for a new front axle because thoes thing will eat that 30 up.
welchct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i believe those are 8" champion beadlocks.
i run 7" champion beadlocks with my 35x12.5x15 mt/r's and have been very happy with them.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #13
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
No I don't, but I should be able to find out tomorrow. I spent the last couple days in Johnson Valley/Hammers with him & a few other friends, but I came home early & he's still there wheelin'.

I'll give chef a call tomorrow.
joe, how was the wheeling?
anything exciting to talk about?
sorry i missed you guys out there.
i hope to see you on the rookie run. whats a flight from hawaii for something as fun as the rookie run

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #14
z71offroader

thanks for the replys guys! i think the 15x10s will probably be best, ill take a look at the champions.

Unread 01-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #15
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILER341
joe, how was the wheeling?
anything exciting to talk about?
sorry i missed you guys out there.
i hope to see you on the rookie run. whats a flight from hawaii for something as fun as the rookie run
I sure missed you & Matt not being there, plus others.

Wheeling was AWESOME. Long story, but I wheeled only on Saturday. We did Wrecking Ball and Tact Hammer.

Wrecking Ball proved to be extra exciting for me, but I sure don't want to repeat my waterfall episode in the same fashion. I drove up the exit waterfall okay, but the ensueing events almost cost me my junk & possibly worse. Some Lessons learned there no doubt.

There's video of it, but not the after event which almost caused me my rig or worse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.