350 guys or mechanics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 350 guys or mechanics

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

350 guys or mechanics

I installed the 350 in the jeep a few weeks ago. the old carb was no good so i bought a 670 truck advenger.It runs fine for about thirty minutes or so then at a stop light or stop sign the thing wants to cut off. Then it wants to spit and sputter on take off. The jeep starts up perfectly every time after sitting for many hrs or days. Then after these symptoms start surfaceing the truck doesnt want to start up very easily. I'm stumped and really dont want to take it the shop.

Things ive done already...checked timing, new cap and rotor. and fuel delivery is present.

I'm thinking and I'm no mechanic that maybe its the coil or control module or possibly the vacuum advance. But there again I don't really know.

Any help would be great

Unread 04-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the timing with vac advance disconnected and blocked off at the carb?

You need to know what your timing advance is at idle.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post
Have you checked the timing with vac advance disconnected and blocked off at the carb?

You need to know what your timing advance is at idle.
I checked it with the vac advanced disconnected but i did not block the carb off. I will give that a try. The first time i checked the timing my gun was dailed in at zero and no mark on balancer showed up in the light. So turned the gun up to 60 degrees and finally the mark showed up.
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

O2 sensor
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
O2 sensor
straight dual exhaust. and no computer. I dont have 02 sensors.
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Fattynutzkin
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check your timing. Another thing to check is to see if the choke plate is fully open when the engine is warm.
Fattynutzkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the choke is engaging. Check the choke plate and if you aren't using the choke, disconnect the linkage so it won't flop down into the engaged position.
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Talk about some weird answers.

Has a carb so it doesn't have an O2 sensor, young grasshopper.

If the timing was off why would it run fine for 30 minutes then start to act up ? Even if the timing was to far advance/retarded it would show you well before 30 minutes of run time.

He has a heat issue. Not uncommon with a large heat producer nestled in a small space.

Underhood temps are escalating to a point that after x amount of run time the engine has given off enough heat and that heat has been absorbed by the fuel lines/pump to the point of causing the fuel to boil/vaporize within the fuel line or even the float bowl of the carb itself.

That is called VAPOR LOCK.

To fix the problem......Reroute the fuel line(s). Add heat reflective material to the lines, Install a carb to manifold heat shield add some hood louvers to help remove the excess heat. The OP says nothing about his fuel delivery system so it`s impossible to offer any advice in regards to fuel pump location.

Sheesh, not trying to be mean but darn not very well thought out answers to a simple problem.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
snail81
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ignition module in the distributor
snail81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post

If the timing was off why would it run fine for 30 minutes then start to act up ? Even if the timing was to far advance/retarded it would show you well before 30 minutes of run time.

He has a heat issue. Not uncommon with a large heat producer nestled in a small space.

Underhood temps are escalating to a point that after x amount of run time the engine has given off enough heat and that heat has been absorbed by the fuel lines/pump to the point of causing the fuel to boil/vaporize within the fuel line or even the float bowl of the carb itself.

To fix the problem......Reroute the fuel line(s). Add heat reflective material to the lines, Install a carb to manifold heat shield add some hood louvers to help remove the excess heat. The OP says nothing about his fuel delivery system so it`s impossible to offer any advice in regards to fuel pump location.

Sheesh, not trying to be mean but darn not very well thought out answers to a simple problem.
I contemplated posting similiar to this as I had similiar issues. Turns out mine was nothing more than the electric choke being weak and flopping into place.

Heat is a pain in the a$$, most of the symptoms fit.
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Dirttracker18
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post

Logical conclusion.

Tough to make a good diagnosis with such limited information.

There are a host of issues that could be related. However the heat issue is the most logical and certainly a good starting point.
Dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail81 View Post
ignition module in the distributor
Another good possibility and Buck`s suggestion is also.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

When it trys to "cut out" is it when your coming to a stop and just starting out? What is your idle set at? Do you have a cam? What choke setup do you have? How are your fuel lines routed?

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

heres the plan. I just bought new coil,control module,fuel line and heat wrap. im going to reroute my fuel lines and wrap em. then im going to check timing again. will post results in 2 hrs
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
When it trys to "cut out" is it when your coming to a stop and just starting out? What is your idle set at? Do you have a cam? What choke setup do you have? How are your fuel lines routed?
cuts out on both. idel is as low as can go. small cam dk spec. fuel lines are in factory location until motor then goes under the oil pan to mech fuel pump. elec choke not hooked up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.