350 engine trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 350 engine trouble

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Titanthomas
1994 YJ Wrangler 

350 engine trouble

Hello, i have a 1984 chevy 350 with a edelbrock 1406 carb. Mechanical fuel pump. Excell distributor. When it hits 210-220 degrees, it shuts off and starves for gas. Tried new pump. Cleaned carb pins on the float. If i keep it reved it works fine. Please help!! Hah

A few things to note: electric choke is not hooked up. Linkage missing from carb. Worked fine before i rebuilt the rear end. Changed fuel filter as well (the filter on the chasis). Has a valve cove leak. Forgive the info. Im naming random stuff in hopes it makes it easier to diagnose.

Last edited by Titanthomas; 03-07-2014 at 06:18 PM..
Titanthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Xzero117
1990 YJ Wrangler 

first of all you shouldn't be getting that hot in the first place, check your cooling system

and second try a wooden spacer, edelbrock sells them and they're great

the edelbrock carbs are susceptible to fuel boiling off in the bowl the wooden spacer does a hell of a job insulating
Xzero117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

get a 160* thermostat. I had one in my firebird. milodon makes brass ones.
Unread 03-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Titanthomas
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzero117
first of all you shouldn't be getting that hot in the first place, check your cooling system

and second try a wooden spacer, edelbrock sells them and they're great

the edelbrock carbs are susceptible to fuel boiling off in the bowl the wooden spacer does a hell of a job insulating
Thanks Zero, I will try that. It has a spacer, I'll replace it with a wooden one. Like I said it was my fathers. I will also try the thermo.

Quick update. I removed the pins from the carb via, inspection plate on the top. The right pin was semi welded to the carb, I finally wiggled it out. Sanded, polished, and preserved the metal. Apon replacing it it ran like a champ. Thanks you again.
Unread 03-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Titanthomas
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE
get a 160* thermostat. I had one in my firebird. milodon makes brass ones.
Thank you YJ
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Titanthomas
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanthomas

Thank you YJ
Hey YJ, I discovered it has a 180 in it now. What I was unaware of is the stock 4cylinder radiator. I ordered a 3 core allum. corvette racing radiator from eBay. $188. Very cheap imo. I'm hoping that was the problem. I'm 90% sure that is it lmao. But anyway just updating you. Thanks again for the help.
Unread 03-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanthomas View Post
Hey YJ, I discovered it has a 180 in it now. What I was unaware of is the stock 4cylinder radiator. I ordered a 3 core allum. corvette racing radiator from eBay. $188. Very cheap imo. I'm hoping that was the problem. I'm 90% sure that is it lmao. But anyway just updating you. Thanks again for the help.
Awesome
Unread 04-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Titanthomas
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, hah well time to try again, I'm nearly over it tho. New: 3 Core aluminum radiator, new thermo, new water pump, new spacer, new 1750 cfm 14" fan. $350.. Ish and its still running hot. I took the thermo out of it and it runs 190-200 on highway. 210+ in traffic. Engine shuts off and my clear fuel filter nearly empties when it gets that hot, ( previously posted I had jug drain so I put filter on to diagnose. Will replace it when I'm done). I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. Today the drain on my heater core was dripping, that's a first. My wedding is soon and I can't take it to the beach acting up. Any further help and I would be forever grateful!
Unread 04-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
AmmitOsiris
JACK WAGON

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanthomas
Ok, hah well time to try again, I'm nearly over it tho. New: 3 Core aluminum radiator, new thermo, new water pump, new spacer, new 1750 cfm 14" fan. $350.. Ish and its still running hot. I took the thermo out of it and it runs 190-200 on highway. 210+ in traffic. Engine shuts off and my clear fuel filter nearly empties when it gets that hot, ( previously posted I had jug drain so I put filter on to diagnose. Will replace it when I'm done). I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. Today the drain on my heater core was dripping, that's a first. My wedding is soon and I can't take it to the beach acting up. Any further help and I would be forever grateful!
Did you burp the full system? Do you have anything blocking the fan? What thermostat is it set at? Does fan work properly?

YES.
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
napaguy

Do you have a shroud in place? How about a fuel return line?
napaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Titanthomas
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I no longer have a thermo in my system. It stays cooler without. Its a daily driver so i had to. Till i figure it out. The jeep was at an incline when i burped the rad. I do not have a return line for the fuel. My 1406 edelbrock likes to drain gas when it sits.
Unread 04-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
Titanthomas
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I do not have room for a shroud. The fan motor is approximately 3/4 of an inch from the waterpump tri belt pully
Unread 04-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #13
Titanthomas
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm making my own wooden spacer for my carb, it acts up when temp reaches 190 I just bought another 160 degree thermo.
Unread 04-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanthomas View Post
that sounds a bit low for fan output.... and just a touch on the small side. get to a junk yard and get yourself a Taurus or Mark VIII fan (the Mark is a closer fit) and they push through a TON of air, built-in shroud, 2 speed motors

not saying your fan is the cause of your problem, but it's not really helping much
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
racenmotorsport
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like vapor lock, make sure the fuel line isn't near anything hot that will boil the fuel off. Had a similar problem years ago with a ford pinto my dad and I rebuilt and the fuel line would suck down when it got hot. Weirdest problem I've ever seen. Anyway, sounds like the same thing, check the fuel lines...Good luck.
racenmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.