350 to ax15 problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 350 to ax15 problems

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 11-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Zeb89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

350 to ax15 problems

When I tried to slide the transmission into the back of the motor it ws very hard to get it in. I had to use the bolts to pull it the rest of the way. When i went to put it into gear the engine wouldnt disengage. I pulled the transmission back out and it looks like the input shaft it rubbing on the back of the crank. has anybody had anything like this before?

Zeb89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

did you use an adapter from aa or novak?
liftedyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Zeb89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used a adapter from AA
Unread 11-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Zeb89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You used the pilot bushing that came with the kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Zeb89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it was hard to slide on the shaft so i used a die grinder and took a little out until it would slide on. I have the ax15 with the bigger input shaft.
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The minute you needed to produce a die grinder you probably should have suspected something was wrong. Any time you need to try to seat the transmission with the bolts something has gone wrong

So - if you picked up the adapter from Advanced Adapter what did they say when you called them? Did you get the specific kit for the large bore input shaft?
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Zeb89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It was a specific kit it comes with 2 bushings. I haven't had a chance to call them yet cause the weekend. Would I be better of to order a new bushing or get a stock 350 pilot bushing and have a machine shop bore it out.
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have installed an AX15 to a Chevy 4.3 V6. It is the same situation. These "kits" are totally dependent on the year AX15 and the year of the V8. Some say it doesn't matter, but I have been through this "run around" too. It does matter. The best thing you can do is to put a "dial caliper" on the forward part of your input shaft on your AX15. Then measure the inside diameter of the pilot bushing. Ideally you slipped the pilot bushing onto the front part of the input shaft first, just to check the fit. (If you didn't, it is OK. I made the same mistake. You trust who you talk to at the manufacturer. Anyway, check the fit. If it fits, check the measurements of the outside diameter of the pilot bushing to the inside diameter of the crankshaft hole it fits into. These measurements have to be off if you are having this much trouble.

I would buy it from Advanced Adapters AFTER YOU MEASURE IT AND DECIDE WHAT YOU NEED. Remember information can always be logged in the computer wrong. It happens. But by giving them the measurement "ball park", you help them help you.

Anytime you are cranking down bolts to pull in a transmission YOU ARE WRONG!!! Don't do it. You can screw up your transmission seriously enough to need to replace it. I don't know about you, but my finances aren't that great. Be patient and figure it out... but most importantly, BE PATIENT!

Take care,
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
Zeb89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks thats good information
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Zeb89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I measured the input its .755 the pilot was .750
Unread 11-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did you find any burrs on the bushing or the input shaft? Did you test fit the bushing on the shaft? You know, when I put mine together, I had it easy. My engine was on a "roller platform" I made on the garage floor. All I had to do is lift the transmission to the engine, keeping the tranny between my knees. That bugger wouldn't go on for nothing. I tried and tried. After about thirty minutes of trying, my daughter looks at the pilot bushing and says, "Daddy, are you sure that bushing will go on the shaft? It just looks so small."

Daughters are awesome and teenage daughters have a way of reminding you how dumb you are sometimes. I thought, "They wouldn't have sent me the wrong pilot bushing. Hell, it was in there kit." Well, I measured and it wasn't even close... at least yours is close. Mine was off by .250" One phone call and a new one, with replacements were on their way.

The reason I asked if you test fitted it first was the .005 difference you told me just doesn't seem to be enough clearance. It may be, but it is going to be tight. If AA says it is the right one, temporarily mount two studs in two of your bellhousing bolt holes that are in the block. YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH EASIER THIS IS TO MOUNT A TRANSMISSION TO THE ENGINE WHILE UNDER IT! (I had to remove my transmission later on... but that is another story.) I actually tried to use ARP studs in place of all of the transmission bolts but it didn't work out. So I just used two and mounted them, one on each side of the engine holes for the bellhousing. It went in like clockwork. My daughter was helping me and we just couldn't believe it. If you want, you can keep the studs in, but I removed mine and replaced them with bolts. (So if you do this for "temp", don't tighten the studs.) Oh, you could also just buy two longer bellhousing bolts and cut off the hex heads, then round off the edges. I am sure this would work the same way...just remember to keep them loose so you can remove them after you put in a couple of bellhousing bolts.

Take care,
Unread 11-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
Zeb89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When i got the kit they sent me both bushings and the bigger one wouldnt slide on the shaft. I got a stock 350 pilot bushing today and dropped it off at a machine shop for them to mill it out. I called AA today and it turns out that they didnt send the bellhousing instructions with my kit. The problem is on some models of the ax15 the tip of the input shaft has to be cut and mine was about 1/4" to long. I cut the shaft and now there is about 1/4" of clearance from the crank. Now I just have to wait for my pilot bushing and then test everything out.
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am glad it is working out for you. Post some photos when you can.

Take care,
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #15
rap169

Yes I forgot abt that. I had to cut my shaft on,my ax15 too.
rap169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.