34" Swampers with the 2.5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 34" Swampers with the 2.5?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Kman1983

1983 CJ5 

34" Swampers with the 2.5?

Anyone running 34x10.50 Swamper LTB's on their YJ with the 2.5? My wifes '93 Wrangler has the 2.5, AX5, 4.10's with 4" spring lift and 1" BL.

Kman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
jdarg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just finished rebuilding my YJ and ran this exact setup. I hoped to get by with the 4.10 gears based on comments I read here that it wasn't that bad. Well it was a -complete- dog. Fourth and fifth gear were both totally useless. Top speed was about 55mph winding out 3rd around 4K. Anyone who thinks this combo works probably didn't compensate correctly for their speedo being off ~ 20%.

So I regeared to 4.88 and thought it would be all better. Not quite. I still don't really have use of 5th on the highway. I can run to 65mph in fourth floored - but it takes a while to get there. If its hilly or windy it can't maintain speed even floored.

That LTB is a heavy tire...it weighs more than the Dunlop 33x12.5 radial tires I have on my other jeep. You may have better luck with the lightest alum. rims you can afford and a lighter 33" radial.
jdarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarg View Post
I just finished rebuilding my YJ and ran this exact setup. I hoped to get by with the 4.10 gears based on comments I read here that it wasn't that bad. Well it was a -complete- dog. Fourth and fifth gear were both totally useless. Top speed was about 55mph winding out 3rd around 4K. Anyone who thinks this combo works probably didn't compensate correctly for their speedo being off ~ 20%.

So I regeared to 4.88 and thought it would be all better. Not quite. I still don't really have use of 5th on the highway. I can run to 65mph in fourth floored - but it takes a while to get there. If its hilly or windy it can't maintain speed even floored.
Agreed, I had this setup before I swapped a 4.0 into mine, it's REALLY underpowered. Even with 4.10s the top speed for me was like 55. And it was really bad when climbing hills offroad too.

If you're going to put oversize tires on a 2.5 you better gear it deep.
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.