JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   32rh to 42rh Swap possible? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/32rh-42rh-swap-possible-1533886/)

XJ93 06-08-2013 01:38 PM

32rh to 42rh Swap possible?

Is it possible to swap the 32rh out for a 42rh transmission with a minimum of modifications? What would need to be done and has anyone here done it?

LJameson 06-08-2013 02:03 PM

You would need the PCM and wiring from the donor vehicle at least. A better swap would be the AW4 IMO.

XJ93 06-08-2013 05:25 PM

So basically grab a trans and case from an XJ? Would that affect driveshaft length? Would I also need the transmission control module and harness for that then?
Sorry for the 20 questions but I am old school Chevy guy, back when you could drop a th350 out and throw in a th400 without doing anything else.

JBTJ 06-08-2013 05:33 PM

The 42RLE is a piece of crap, In my opinion. Plenty of guys have them in TJ's and I have yet to here one of them say it's a great or even good transmission. Unlike the 32RH which is a great transmission.

XJ93 06-08-2013 05:38 PM

I have no complaints about my 32RH except for the fact that she is tired and that I can't find another one within 100 mile radius of me. I need to pull my t-case for a rebuild and don't have any clue on rebuilding an auto trans so figured I'd just swap it out for something I can get easier. 42RH and AW4 are plentiful, just wasn't sure which would require less work as this is my dd and can't have it down for more than a couple days. I already have a transfer case from an XJ, found out the input shaft was an inch or so shorter than mine so there it sits on the bench again, so sounds like getting an AW4 to mate to it would be a good option providing I won't have to modify too much of anything else.

JBTJ 06-08-2013 05:40 PM

Swapping in either is a big deal. Why not have a shop rebuild the 32RH?

JBTJ 06-08-2013 05:41 PM

What's wrong with it?

XJ93 06-08-2013 05:42 PM

Cost and time. I can't afford for it to be down more than two days as it is my dd. My weekends are Sunday/Monday and most shops want a few days to rebuild it.

XJ93 06-08-2013 05:44 PM

Hard 1/2 shift, shudders like a son of a gun on take off, leaks fluid from the front pump seal. Supposedly the P.O. had new solenoids put in and I was told "the o rings need time to seat". B.S. it's been that way for over a year now and I have done everything I can think of to help it. Also notice that no matter what I have done I can't get better than 12 mpg and I know that a sloppy transmission can affect fuel mileage.

JBTJ 06-08-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ93 (Post 15536406)
Hard 1/2 shift, shudders like a son of a gun on take off, leaks fluid from the front pump seal. Supposedly the P.O. had new solenoids put in and I was told "the o rings need time to seat". B.S. it's been that way for over a year now and I have done everything I can think of to help it. Also notice that no matter what I have done I can't get better than 12 mpg and I know that a sloppy transmission can affect fuel mileage.

I assume you replaced ALL the ATF including what's in the torque converter and filter change? I don't think the transmission will effect your MPG's. As far as that is concerned there are plenty of other things that would cause that.

XJ93 06-08-2013 05:51 PM

Yes I had a complete filter and flush done a couple months ago as I ended up sitting in mud for a bit. I did the transfer case fluid and diffs at the same time as well.

JBTJ 06-08-2013 05:55 PM

Well if you got water in the transmission, it's toast. Doing flushes on these transmission's that don't get them done on a regular basis since new is also not a good thing. I prefer the drain and refill method.

XJ93 06-08-2013 05:59 PM

Thus why I was wanting to swap, it has always acted up, but nothing has changed at all in the year and a half that I have owned it. I am doing more trail runs though and having the 1-2 shift shudder and whatnot only makes things more difficult. I cannot fathom that a solenoid would take this long to "properly seat". But then again it wasn't until January that I realized the P.O. also had the wrong ecm in the rig. The unit he "had installed by a mechanic" was from a 94 with a manual. Not sure if that hurt the situation any or not but I had to change it out anyway as the alternator was overcharging and the ecm was at fault.

JBTJ 06-08-2013 06:06 PM

The 32RH/TF999 is a mechanical operated transmission. It has no effect on the ECM or anything else. If water got into it then the glue that binds the clutch material to the disks is water soluble and is gone. If you are sure no water got in then maybe just a band adjustment may help.

JBTJ 06-08-2013 06:12 PM

Band Adjustment from the FSM:

FRONT BAND ADJUSTMENT
The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw is
located on the left side of the transmission case
above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.
(1) Raise vehicle.
(2) Loosen band adjusting screw locknut (Fig. 179).
Then back locknut off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting
screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw
threads if necessary.
(3) Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 Nm (72 in.
lbs.) torque with Inch Pound Torque Wrench
C-3380-A, a 3-in. extension and 5/16 socket.
(4) Back off front band adjusting screw 2-1/2 turns
for the 30RH and 2-1/4 turns for the 32RH.
(5) Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten
locknut to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
(6) Lower vehicle.

REAR BAND ADJUSTMENT
The transmission oil pan must be removed for
access to the rear band adjusting screw.
(1) Raise vehicle.
(2) Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
(3) Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns.
Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
(4) Tighten adjusting screw to 5 Nm (41 in. lbs.)
for the 30RH and 8 Nm (72 in. lbs.) torque for the
32RH (Fig. 181).
(5) Back off adjusting screw 7 turns for the 30RH
and 4 turns for the 32RH.
(6) Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut
to 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
(7) Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan
on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 Nm (13 ft.
lbs.) torque.
(8) Lower vehicle and refill transmission with fluid.

The time now is 10:33 AM.