32 inch tire = what rim size? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 32 inch tire = what rim size?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

32 inch tire = what rim size?

I have a 1990 wrangler (it sits stock right now) and im trying to figure out what rim size i need if i get 32x11.5 tires. i also have no clue on wat backspacing is and how much i need. im looking at BFG All Terrains T/A KO(what ever that is) and it will be on a 3in lift if that helps. thnx

BIGJoe29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't push that much, the rear axle won't last long. 31's is the max, and they fit on the stock 15x8 rims.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^^ opinions vary... not sayinghte 35 is strong by no means but I abuse mine regularly with 33 TSL BIAs swampers, so cantsee 31 giving you much grief....

and ya for onlya 11.5 widetire use a 15x8 with about 3.5" of Backspacing

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed 15x8 with 3.5 - 3.75" backspacing. You might get away with a 7" rim with 11.50 tires, especially BFG AT's with that sweet rim protector.
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

street and general trail driving on 32s the rear will be fine. at that size a 15x8 is fine. most dont give options on backspacing and its not a huge conscern. ive put together a similar combination and it was too tall. id stick with a 2"-2.5."
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I wouldn't push that much, the rear axle won't last long. 31's is the max, and they fit on the stock 15x8 rims.
I ran 33x12.5s on my stock 3.55 geared D35 for years, without a problem, so I'd have to disagree with this. They were on 15x8 rims with 3.75 backspacing (if I remember right).

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

16x8s are a good choice too. I have them on my JK with 4.10 rears!
07BlackOps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BlackOps View Post
be hard to do with a 15" tire tho.......

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BlackOps View Post
The size of the wheel doesn't have anything to do with the gearing, it's the size of the tire on the wheel.....but I'll assume you're running 32's (no I didn't check your profile).

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ran 32X11.50's on the stock rims and then went to a 15X8" rim when I went to a 33X12.50 tire.

The stock rims rubbed a bit at full lock. I agree with a 15X8 with 4" or 3/75" of backspacing if you're already buying new rims though.

Go with 4" of BS if you want to stay with a 11.5" wide tire, but go to a 3.75" BS if you want to maybe run a 12.50 in the future. I run my 33X12.50 on a 4" BS and it still rubs a bit at full lock only.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good sight to learn about wheel specs
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

And i run 33x12.5's on 15x8 rims. Dont remember what backspacing i have but do remember it is less than 3.75" which keeps it from rubbing but stuck out past the stock flares quiet a bit

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jeep , tires , wheels , wrangler , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.