31s with no lift (temporarily?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 31s with no lift (temporarily?)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-02-2002, 05:45 PM   #1
JeepN87

31s with no lift (temporarily?)

I know you're not supposed to run 31s without a lift on a YJ, but what if I kept it on the road with no off roading after i get my 31x12.50s for a couple months before i get my 3" RC lift? how would that work out? I figure I'll just keep my jeep on the pavement for a couple months and wheel with my friend in his temporarily. Will I still rub alot even on the street?

Unread 04-02-2002, 06:04 PM   #2
Bob K

Won't rub a lot. But it only takes one good Speed bump to wipe out a flare or two. You have two easy options:

1. Cut off the vertical part of your flares where the curved part becomes flat. I've seen this done. It looks cool.

2. I can sell you a set of axle bump stops that should limit your travel enough to prevent damage to the flares. $20 includes shipping.

With or without a lift the tires are likely to rub on the springs. Simply screw out the stops a few turns until they don't rub anymore.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2002, 06:25 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can do it .. but if you are going to put a 3" lift on it, save the money for 31's and get 32's after the lift is in instead.

When I did my SOA on my YJ, I was guessing that I would be able to fit somewhere between 36" and 38" tires .. after it was done, I found that I had the room to squeeze in a 40" tire (with major rubbing).
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2002, 07:01 PM   #4
JeepN87

I would get some 32s, but I'm pretty sure I got 3.07s and I don't reallly know how that would handle. My jeep is a daily driver, and I use it on the highway sometimes. Would 32s be a big difference from the 31s?
Unread 04-02-2002, 07:12 PM   #5
bluYJ

If you have 3:07 gears at this time and are interested, I have some 3:73 gears for sale. It's the front 30 rear 35 out of my 95 YJ.
33" BFG Muds, 4:88 gears, Detroit's front and rear, Dana 44 rear axle with disc brakes, heavy duty Dodge NP231,SYE, MORE sport cage. [COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #61[/COLOR]
bluYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2002, 08:06 PM   #6
JeepN87

hey bluYJ, those 3.73s would be real nice, but I'm on a budget and can't spend alot. How much you want for em? You can email me if need be. Also, how bad would 32s be on 3.07s? Should i stick with the 31s? is it that much difference?
Unread 04-02-2002, 08:06 PM   #7
JeepN87

hey bluYJ, those 3.73s would be real nice, but I'm on a budget and can't spend alot. How much you want for em? You can email me if need be. Also, how bad would 32s be on 3.07s? Should i stick with the 31s? is it that much difference?
Unread 04-04-2002, 11:27 AM   #8
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

my jeep had 31's without lift wheb i bought it (road profile) and they did some rubbing. then i put on 31 BFG's mudd tires. they did loads of rubbing...... 2 weeks later i installed a 2.5 suspension lift. in these 14 days about 7 mil of my left fender was scraped away on roadbumbs. i didn't even try to take it off road. i would install the lift first. i would't drive it for a few months whitout one.

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2002, 02:23 PM   #9
bidnizman

I've kept 31's on my '89 Laredo since i bought it 4 years ago. Done a little off-roading + crazy city driving and they barely rub at all. I'm fairly certain i dont have a lift unless its factory?
Unread 04-04-2002, 03:43 PM   #10
Bob K

I'm running 31's with 3.07 gears on a very strong rebuilt 258 engine. I wouldn't want to go any bigger. I have to downshift from fifth pretty often on hills.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2002, 04:35 PM   #11
JeepN87

thanks guys
hey bob k, can you tell me more about that juicebox? and how much did it cost/ where did you get it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.