31s with no lift (temporarily?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 31s with no lift (temporarily?)

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-02-2002, 05:45 PM   #1
JeepN87

31s with no lift (temporarily?)

I know you're not supposed to run 31s without a lift on a YJ, but what if I kept it on the road with no off roading after i get my 31x12.50s for a couple months before i get my 3" RC lift? how would that work out? I figure I'll just keep my jeep on the pavement for a couple months and wheel with my friend in his temporarily. Will I still rub alot even on the street?

Unread 04-02-2002, 06:04 PM   #2
Bob K

Won't rub a lot. But it only takes one good Speed bump to wipe out a flare or two. You have two easy options:

1. Cut off the vertical part of your flares where the curved part becomes flat. I've seen this done. It looks cool.

2. I can sell you a set of axle bump stops that should limit your travel enough to prevent damage to the flares. $20 includes shipping.

With or without a lift the tires are likely to rub on the springs. Simply screw out the stops a few turns until they don't rub anymore.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2002, 06:25 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can do it .. but if you are going to put a 3" lift on it, save the money for 31's and get 32's after the lift is in instead.

When I did my SOA on my YJ, I was guessing that I would be able to fit somewhere between 36" and 38" tires .. after it was done, I found that I had the room to squeeze in a 40" tire (with major rubbing).
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2002, 07:01 PM   #4
JeepN87

I would get some 32s, but I'm pretty sure I got 3.07s and I don't reallly know how that would handle. My jeep is a daily driver, and I use it on the highway sometimes. Would 32s be a big difference from the 31s?
Unread 04-02-2002, 07:12 PM   #5
bluYJ

If you have 3:07 gears at this time and are interested, I have some 3:73 gears for sale. It's the front 30 rear 35 out of my 95 YJ.
33" BFG Muds, 4:88 gears, Detroit's front and rear, Dana 44 rear axle with disc brakes, heavy duty Dodge NP231,SYE, MORE sport cage. [COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #61[/COLOR]
bluYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2002, 08:06 PM   #6
JeepN87

hey bluYJ, those 3.73s would be real nice, but I'm on a budget and can't spend alot. How much you want for em? You can email me if need be. Also, how bad would 32s be on 3.07s? Should i stick with the 31s? is it that much difference?
Unread 04-02-2002, 08:06 PM   #7
JeepN87

hey bluYJ, those 3.73s would be real nice, but I'm on a budget and can't spend alot. How much you want for em? You can email me if need be. Also, how bad would 32s be on 3.07s? Should i stick with the 31s? is it that much difference?
Unread 04-04-2002, 11:27 AM   #8
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

my jeep had 31's without lift wheb i bought it (road profile) and they did some rubbing. then i put on 31 BFG's mudd tires. they did loads of rubbing...... 2 weeks later i installed a 2.5 suspension lift. in these 14 days about 7 mil of my left fender was scraped away on roadbumbs. i didn't even try to take it off road. i would install the lift first. i would't drive it for a few months whitout one.

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2002, 02:23 PM   #9
bidnizman

I've kept 31's on my '89 Laredo since i bought it 4 years ago. Done a little off-roading + crazy city driving and they barely rub at all. I'm fairly certain i dont have a lift unless its factory?
Unread 04-04-2002, 03:43 PM   #10
Bob K

I'm running 31's with 3.07 gears on a very strong rebuilt 258 engine. I wouldn't want to go any bigger. I have to downshift from fifth pretty often on hills.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2002, 04:35 PM   #11
JeepN87

thanks guys
hey bob k, can you tell me more about that juicebox? and how much did it cost/ where did you get it?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.