31's or 32's on a 2.5L Engine. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 31's or 32's on a 2.5L Engine.

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

31's or 32's on a 2.5L Engine.

Alright guys, I have gotten nothing but helpful answers thus far on questions that I have (I'm a Noob) So I have one that pertains to the capacity of the 4 banger and it's ability to spin some big tires.

First off, currently I'm doing an S-10 bastard pack on my Jeep (I like the rough ride), since my leafs are flat at the moment. Also, I'm running with 235/75/15s on 15x8 Rims. Anyways, I figured that with the lift, I would be able to fit 31's or 32's under comfortably.

Now, the issue being, Will the 1 inch difference make a big difference on my Jeep at all, with the possibility of regearing, losing 5th gear as an option, etc.

Personally I enjoy the look of the larger tires, however I'd like to be able to use my 5th gear and still get up to highway speeds (Gotta drive to the romp arounds ) The reason I ask, is that I put an ad up on Craigslist (gotta love craigslist) and I put WTB 32's or 31's, basically to see if I could afford it. Well a guy called me and said he wanted $250.00 for 4 32's with 90%ish tread (Going to look at tomorrow to verify) and they were mud terrains, cannot remember because he called during work . His reasoning was he was changing axels on his Jeep, 44's or 60's also cannot remember, and we was bumping up the size.

Also, consider in your response if adding bigger tires would cause a need for regearing, transfercase drop, etc.

What is your guys opinions on this? If you have pictures of your rig along with what you think, that would be even better. Thanks!

Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ran 31s for almost a year with stock gearing and was real happy. It's a 4 cylinder, but if you aren't afraid of shifting you should be fine. I also ran 33s with stock gearing with sometime and found it to be drivable. Once I bumped up to 35s re-gearing became top priority.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i've got a rough country 4 inch lift kit on my YJ, im running 33x12.50 dunlop mud rovers on it as well with stock gearing.

if im not hitting head winds i can make it up to 85 mph, downhill i've achieved 90. that was scary as **** but all of us prefer different levels of thrill, i prefer lots. i can get up to 70 mph on the sand but thats kinda hard to accomplish with a 4 banger and stock gearing with 33s. so thats an idea of how fast you can go.

as far as acceleration? for a jeep mine ain't half bad TBH. but then again i did some slight mods to the motor, nothing big though. i can keep up with traffic perfectly fine until everybody starts flooring it then i start falling behind even though my foot is smashing the pedal into the floor.

if you are wanting to spin the tires i don't have the money to experiment with my stock D35 like i want to, i would dump the clutch at WOT but im pretty damn sure with 33s something will break. i've come close to it before trying to race my buddy in his YJ but i never fully dumped the clutch. however when im turning and i smash the pedal its pretty easy to get sideways. i've found that second gear for some odd reason is the easiest gear to spin the tires when turning, of course you gotta be at a decent RPM to begin with for it to do that.

if i can accomplish all that with stock gearing and 33s you should be fine, i don't see why not.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
YJWarrior
1995 YJ Wrangler 

After I added my lift I put 31s on and found the stock gearing unbearable but I live in higher altitude which makes a difference. I added 4.88s and am much happier. I'm looking at 33s now and think I'll still be fine

07 WK 4.7L Rocky Mtn Edition - 2" OME Lift with GY Silent Armor 265 70R17s on Black Mambas!
Black WK Member #31
YJWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
31 , 32 , lift , question , tires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.