31" to 33" mpg difference? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 31" to 33" mpg difference?

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 08-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
ratfink4545
1995 YJ Wrangler 

31" to 33" mpg difference?

thinking about eventually making the switch to 33's and a four inch lift. Its my dd so im wondering how much of an impact it might have on gas mileage. anybody had a before and after and know how much worse it was?

Unread 08-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you're asking I'm gonna assume you care about economy so let mr say this.

Don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There are other factors besides tire size, such as gear ratio.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
NineohsevenYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I run 33s on about a 5in lift with stock gears (as far as I know) & I get about 16mpg & that's with a fullsize spare, winch, heavy as all get out front/rear bumpers & hard top. Seems like decent gas mileage to me. Oh & it's a 6cyl w/manual tranny.
NineohsevenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:17 AM   #5
dagoober
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i have a 4 banger with 33's and a 4 inch lift. its my daily driver. i tend to stay away from the highway as its fairly difficult to get it up to 100 kph. it likes to stay around 80. as for mileage it kinda sucks. i had 31's on when it was stock and it was a fair bit better then. i went driving on some logging roads for about 4 hours non stop today and went through about 20$ in gas. hope that gives you an idea.
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
dagoober is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you're worried about fuel economy then just don't do it...If you have a decent set of mud terrains just wheel what you got and you'll be good.

Do you wheel your Jeep?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
TebbsJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

with my 33s and 3.55 gears with a manual i can get 18mpg if i stay around 50, but if i cruise around 70-80 i get about 15mpg.
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
jeepKY
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a 2.5 L auto with stock gearing and I still get right at 18 with my 31s.
jeepKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
ratfink4545
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i do wheel often, and im trying to decide if the drop in economy outweighs the boost in performance offroad. i would probably do it but im worried i wont be able to afford to wheel as often because there are really no spots within an hour of where i live. for that reason, trips will end up costing a lot more. Anybody with a 4 cyl yj on 33's that can tell me what gas mileage they get in town and on the highway?
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just to give you an idea, I went from 31's to 33's last week, and filled the tank the same day. Normally I would get 230-250kms for $35 which is about 1/2 a tank depending on the day. I filled the tank when I put the new tires on and it is about 3/8s of a tank left on 211kms driven. So that should be about 170kms for half a tank if I did my math right. Take that with a grain of salt due to inaccuracies of the guage. I am still running 3.07s but will be going to 4.11s in about a week or two.
P.S I am too lazy to do the conversion to mpg

Tags
33 , gas mileage , mpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.