30's vs 32's and "using 5th gear to slow down" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 30's vs 32's and "using 5th gear to slow down"

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
jeepjerryp7m8
1982 CJ8 

30's vs 32's and "using 5th gear to slow down"

I keep reading here about people with a 4 banger and even slightly oversize tires using 5th gear to "slow down" because the 4 is so under powered.
I commute 28ish miles one way in a 93 YJ with 4 angry squirrels 4:10 gears and 30" Grabber tires. My trip in is 90% freeway and 70 mph, trip home is 90% 2 lane blacktop at 45 to 55mph. (Fuel mileage averages out to 18 or so, on a trip where I can keep her at 55 I'll get 20 mpg.) I have one hill that I have to down shift on to maintain 65 ( speed limit there is 60) other than that she just gives all I ask of her and doesn't complain.
Would the switch to 32's kill my top end that bad? I've got the room for them, RE springs, longer shackles,etc and new tire time will probably come this spring, just trying to get an idea of what to do when the time comes.

BTW 65 mph is right in the 2500 rpm range now and mileage is not unlivable, should I just consider myself blessed and stick with the 30's?
Thanks
Jerry

jeepjerryp7m8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How is fifth going to slow you down? Up hills yes, down hills no

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
MC_NickP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

say goodbye to fifth gear, on any decent incline, you have to shift down into 3rd to accelerate. my jeep tops off at around 70
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #178

build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...4/#post9499802
MC_NickP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Why not compromise and get a set of 31x10.5's???

I have the 4.0L with 4.10's and I run 32's and I think its quite a speedy Jeep. My friend has a 4cyl and 33's, and I don't like driving it as much. I feel like I need a quarter mile to get into 3rd gear.

You know whats funny though. I have no idea how much power steering robs the engine of HP, but his other Jeep is a 4cyl on 31's with no power steering and that little SOB runs!
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I could tell a huge difference when I went from 31's to 33's. even though 2" does not sound like much you will pretty much lose 5th gear on even the slightest incline
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
jeepjerryp7m8
1982 CJ8 

Problem solved for now. I'll stick with my 29's. They do everything I want (so far) and they also "look right" on the Jeep. I'm still amazed that going up a couple of sizes kills top end that much.
jeepjerryp7m8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Gear ratio is a b*tch. The only thing, other than changing gear sets out,that overcomes your situation, is a small block or built up 6.My 32's are no prob. for me ACCEPT on a long upgrade. And thats with an auto(aw4).With the thirties I had before,it was too quick,lot of tire spin without trying.Ihad to slow the axle down ,hence the 32's.I like the set up I have,it's just the mileage didn't really increase much. I can live with it though. Lots of performance when I need it. Seems like there's a trade off either way you go. Just my 2cents though.
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
MC_NickP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroid81 View Post
...ACCEPT...
the word is EXCEPT

build thread:
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I still dont get the how you would use 5th gear to slow down

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 4 cyl., 4.10 gears, 5 spd. and 33s. I find that if I'm heading west, because usually that's where the wind is coming from, I can't hold my speed in 5th gear. I just drive in 4th and sometimes on hills I have to downshift into 3rd. If I'm behind a large truck, or not driving into the wind, I can manage 5th gear. Long trips on the freeway I usually drive 65 without a problem. A couple of weekends ago I was driving a thrilling 80 mph, and sometimes, more for half an hour to catch up to my fellow Jeepers (heading south). Basically until I can afford a gear swap 4th gear has become my 5th. To date my best fuel mileage has been a corrected 20.1 mpg. Worst tank was heading west into a slight wind and I got 11 mpg. Both were on the highway. Usually I get 15-18 mpg. If I were to do a gear swap I think 4.88s would be a good choice.
tsalmeto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had 32's on my rig until this week and a 4 banger with 4.10's. I can use 5th on the highway on flat ground, but up hill I just pop her down a gear, no big deal. You said you were running 2500 RPM at that speed any way. You're not even in your main power band at that point. So downshifting would actually even help you out in your current setup. But as for going 2" higher, you should be fine as long as you don't want to race the thing.

I never even notice the difference in town, just on hills and into the wind at speeds over about 60 MPH.

I can pull 80 MPH easily and have gotten her up to 100 on flat ground with the wind behind me a couple times, but with even a slight hill or headwind 80-85 is about tops. And up a steep hill or into a strong headwind you will notice the difference but it's still nothing a little bit of downshifting won't help.

And as far as gas mileage goes, I get about 16-17 in town and on highway but have not corrected for the difference in tire size, so at least 18MPG I'm sure.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
MC_NickP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have one other thing to add. when mudding i have to go in 4lo because 4hi just doesnt have enough torque to keeps the wheels spinning. in thick mud anyway. to drive around in general off road, i switch into 4lo and use second gear to replace my 4hi in first gear.
i have to say the looks and ground clearence was worth losing 5th gear

build thread:
Unread 09-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC_NickP View Post
i have one other thing to add. when mudding i have to go in 4lo because 4hi just doesnt have enough torque to keeps the wheels spinning. in thick mud anyway. to drive around in general off road, i switch into 4lo and use second gear to replace my 4hi in first gear.
Good point. A couple of weekends ago I was 4 wheeling on Drummond Island with my brother who has a stock YJ with an automatic trans. He kept telling me, "This is how you do it in 2 wheel drive". I had mine in 4-lo, not because I needed the 4 wheel drive, but because I needed the low gearing. I couldn't go as slow as he could without stalling.
tsalmeto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC_NickP View Post
I actually saw an increase in MPG when I dropped the 5th gear. I run it at 70 in forth with 4.10's and 32's with a correct speedo and get 21-22 hwy

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.