305 Chevy Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 305 Chevy Swap

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The 305 is a little different then just bore and stroke... IIRC it also has thinner water jackets. IMO for the money invested in the swap 350 is the one to start with... the 305 you just are not getting the performace for your $1.
I have a 305 in my Caprice, and a 355 in my YJ... the YJ definitely packs more punch per $1... and my 89 caprice was free to me Both motors are dependable and cheap to get parts for as externally they share many of the same parts. For the 2K or so you will drop on the swap the difference between a 350 and 305 is negligable.

Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #17
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I blew out two 350's in my Jeep. I picked up a cheap 305 and its going into there. I'll see what it can do for me over the winter and next summer. If its not enough to keep me happy, its only a weekend of work to drop the 3rd 350 into my Jeep.

You can find my writeup about my 350 swap on my homepage - or just peak into the FAQ at the top of the YJ section.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2006, 05:03 AM   #18
I.O.A.MUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfreak81
The 305 is a little different then just bore and stroke... IIRC it also has thinner water jackets. IMO for the money invested in the swap 350 is the one to start with... the 305 you just are not getting the performace for your $1.
I have a 305 in my Caprice, and a 355 in my YJ... the YJ definitely packs more punch per $1... and my 89 caprice was free to me Both motors are dependable and cheap to get parts for as externally they share many of the same parts. For the 2K or so you will drop on the swap the difference between a 350 and 305 is negligable.
Said so eloquently! If you want to learn about sbc motors and uogrades go to www.thirdgen.org. Good stuff there if you ask any qwestions just talk about the motor not that its in a jeep. thry are very third gen camaro specific. But tons of info.

We dont stop playing because we grow old....we grow old because we stop playing!
I.O.A.MUD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #19
Songman
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid
I blew out two 350's in my Jeep. I picked up a cheap 305 and its going into there. I'll see what it can do for me over the winter and next summer. If its not enough to keep me happy, its only a weekend of work to drop the 3rd 350 into my Jeep.

You can find my writeup about my 350 swap on my homepage - or just peak into the FAQ at the top of the YJ section.
What transmission are ya'll using for the SBC swap? Is there a special version of the trannys for 4WDs or is it just a different tailshaft?
Songman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #20
GiggityJeep

SO Mud are you going to add an 09 camaro to that line up...cause Im adding one to mine..just waiting to place my order
GiggityJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #21
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songman
What transmission are ya'll using for the SBC swap? Is there a special version of the trannys for 4WDs or is it just a different tailshaft?
My little story of the swap is at http://www.naekid.ca .. modifications \ 350 swap

I bought an entire 1/2ton 4x4 truck, pealed out the drive-train of the Jeep and welded in the new drivetrain.

I have a V8, TH350, NP203, D44 front and 12-bolt rear.

I am thinking of putting in the NP208 I have sitting in my shed into my Jeep to drop about 300lbs from the belly of my Jeep, installing an external tranny-cooler for extra cooling ability and a few other things.

Overall, the engine fits in there very well, no major cooling issues with my scoops mounted on the hood bringing in cool air, or exhaling the warm air (depends on my vehicle speed).
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2006, 07:16 AM   #22
I.O.A.MUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggityJeep
SO Mud are you going to add an 09 camaro to that line up...cause Im adding one to mine..just waiting to place my order
I sure am!Cant wait! And guess wjhat color I"m hoping for Still looking for the right 1st Gen. I want a 69 ss. But the prices are crazy and I dont have time for another restoration project

We dont stop playing because we grow old....we grow old because we stop playing!
Unread 10-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #23
81CJ7Renegade

find yourself an old 327 and drop under the hood. if anything find and old corvette327 that is a 327ci/365hp now that was a bad azz engine. I heard of the conversion plenty of times on dropping a chevy small block in a wrangler.
81CJ7Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #24
I.O.A.MUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81CJ7Renegade
find yourself an old 327 and drop under the hood. if anything find and old corvette327 that is a 327ci/365hp now that was a bad azz engine. I heard of the conversion plenty of times on dropping a chevy small block in a wrangler.
The only problem with the 327 is that it has no bottom end tourque. I ran one in my 89 camaro for a year. Also the 327 lacks accesory holes in the old camel hump heads for your power steering and other things. You have to run at least a 3000rpm tourque convertor to get the most out of the engine. Not well suited for a jeep.
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #25
cmice

hey im currently doing a 305 swap in my 99 jeep wrangler in my opinion its a great learning experience and from what i see online the jeep will have a crazy amount of power im not finished yet but i think it is deff worth it the chevy 305 has plenty of power for ur wrangler
cmice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #26
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

7 year resurrection. Yeah baby yeah!
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

To with the 305, ha ha ha. 7 years yipppeeee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.