30-40 mph vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 30-40 mph vibration

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 05-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
tiffindale

30-40 mph vibration

I have a 94 with a 4.0 and auto. It has a SOA and an 8.8 rear, a transfer case tailshaft kit and a cv driveshaft. I sold it about 3 years ago and now have it back. The last owner installed RE springs. When I got it back there is a vibration from 30-40 mph. It is always slightly there but really noticeable at 30-40. I thought maybe the cv had too much angle so I lowered the transfer case about an inch, No difference. The rear u joint was bad so I changed it, still no difference. I removed the 2 smallest springs from the springpack and lost about 1" of lift, no difference except the rear u joint had an angle to it. I installed a traction bar and adjusted the angle out of the rear u joint but the vibration is still there. I had actually cut the transfer case mount and moved it over to take care of the 8.8 offset. I had no vibrations at all when I sold it. The cv seems tight with no play in either joint. I greased everything but can not figure this out. If i am coasting the vibration goes away. Any Ideas.

tiffindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is it a driveline vibration?

Ok, do you feel the vibration in your butt or in your hands?

Butt means driveline: engine mounts, tranny mounts, u-joint, bent shaft, bent rim, lost wheel weight (most common culprits)

Hands means its in the front end: bad u-joint, wheel bearing, ball joints, tie rod end, bent wheel, lost wheel weight(common issues)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.