3+ years later, how has your bedliner held up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3+ years later, how has your bedliner held up?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
fsacb3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

3+ years later, how has your bedliner held up?

I see a lot of pics of brand new liner and it looks great. For those of you who have had it for several years, what brand did you use and how has it held up? Peeling? Faded?

If you could do it over again, would you? If so, what would you do differently?

fsacb3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Herced mine 3 years ago and it is holding up fine. No peeling or fading, and no noticeable wear.

I would do the same if I had to do it over again as it is the most cost effective wahy to line the tub.

BTW, prep is key, no matter what you use.
Unread 08-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I herculined mine 5 years ago. I used gray, if it has faded, I haven't noticed it but gray and slightly lighter gray isn't very noticeable.

It has held up well, except for a thin spot right where my foot rests while driving.

It is very rough with rubber particles in it and that makes it hard to clean. Once a year I empty everything out and power wash it at the car wash. That's really the only way I've found to clean it.

What would I do different? I'd make sure to put a couple extra coats right where my foot rests while I drive. I'd take the rollbar out instead of trying to mask it off with tape. When I took the tape off, it didn't come off cleanly and is kind of jagged. I'd probably use Monstaliner instead Herculiner, because it is so rough and hard to really clean, but I am not uphappy with it.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
fsacb3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses. Did you get it down to bare metal before applying?
fsacb3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
Delawdude
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think taking it to bare metal would be the best approach - you can, but it will require more prep.

Scuff what is there (for example, remove the shiny coating on the top paint - it should have a dull scratched look to it) this gives the liner something to bite into. Next, clean thoroughly to get all dust/oil/etc off. Tape off any areas you don't want the liner to get into then role or spray it on.

Mine has only been on for about 5 months, so I can't comment on the 3-year question. I used Monstaliner and it covered great and I prefer the finish over line-x or herculiner (it is sort of rubbery, not a hard sandpaper type finish). Also - I did not cover my bolt holes when I prepped -- I started too, but then ran out of patience and just rolled right over them. This actually worked out really well, after it was all done I just used a knife to cut out the hole which was much much faster than cutting little pieces of tape to cover or stuffing them with paper/etc.

One other item to note - the first coat should go on thin then second gets heavier. The first coat bites into the prepped surface and also provides a layer for the second thicker coat to bite into. I went a little too heavy on my first coat (thinking I had to rush due to time limit after mixing) and had a slight run on the side of the wheel well. The nice thing is that you can't really tell after the third coat went on, but something I learned from my first time applying.

There's a lot of information in the Monstaliner vendor thread (vendor section of JF) - read through those and you'll have all the info you need. Also, I believe JF members get a free quart of Chasis Saver and free shipping --- which I found out after I ordered mine, so I missed out - just contact the Monstaliner rep via PM.

Good luck.
Delawdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsacb3 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Did you get it down to bare metal before applying?
Totally strip all removable parts from the tub, esp the rollbar.

Clean well with soap and water and remove all loose debris. Scuff with red scotchbrite and wipe down with solvent (the liner material maker will recommend the proper solvent), then apply liner.

One thing about the Herc, if you cover the bolts or bolt holes, you might as well forget using them again. Remove all bolts and plug the threaded holes with masking tape as per the instructions with the material.
Unread 08-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Foam earplugs work great to fill the bolt holes.

Follow the instructions that come with it on the prep. No need to get it to bare metal.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

hercd mine and put a uv protection on it and it survived the AZ summer and didnt fade. I did it 5 months ago before my trip. There is a couple low spots i need to address but no chipping occured. I just got the rust off and scuffed the remaining areas.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I used herculiner 4 or 5 years ago and it looked great for about 6 months.. It is hard to clean without power washing it, has a really rough texture, faded after 3 months of summer in Utah, wore through after 6 months, started peeling after 3 years. For prep I used purple scotch blocks then some 80 grit sand paper (there is still herculiner in the deeper scratches), power washed all debris out, then wiped everything down with acetone, applied 1 thin coat waited awhile then added 4 or 5 coats.

I won't use herc on anything again. I'm going to strip the rest of the herc out and re do it in monstaliner.

I am rough on the floors but not nearly as rough as I am with the rhino liner that I have in my truck (8+ years old).

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
95yj0645
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My herculiner has held up awesome. And I throw all kinds of tools and parts in the back of my jeep all the time.. Has a few scratches. To clean it I just use soap and a scrub brush.. I'm pretty happy with it.
Unread 08-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would be interested in pictures as well.

If you guys have them for a before and now.
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I put herculiner on the inside of my tub about five years ago. It's held up well everywhere except under my right foot on the driver side and it's worn through down to bare metal. I would say it's likely faded some, but not too bad. Mine is kinday gray / tan from dirt etc. I think I might have hosed it off once. I don't ever do anything else with it.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I put herculiner on the inside of my tub about five years ago. It's held up well everywhere except under my right foot on the driver side and it's worn through down to bare metal. I would say it's likely faded some, but not too bad. Mine is kinday gray / tan from dirt etc. I think I might have hosed it off once. I don't ever do anything else with it.
About the time I did mine there was a thread here that mentioned putting on multiple coats as a paint on floor mat in the footwells. I did that and it seems to work.
Unread 08-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I put four or five coats in the there for that reason, still wore through. Maybe I'm just heavy footed. I've been saying for at least two years that I'd get the small quart size one and redo it then put a rubber mat down, but eh I always seem to find other stuff to do.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am going on 10 years for my Rhino liner. It looks the same now as it did new. Now I am one of those people who clean their jeep after wheeling trips, so this may attribute to the condition. It is also parked in a garage out of the weather.
jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.