3 Wheel drive? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3 Wheel drive?

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 07-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
karateka
1987 YJ Wrangler 

3 Wheel drive?

I was installing a Posi-Lok actuator in my YJ today and I noticed something:

With the differential in 4 wheel drive and the front right wheel off the ground, when the actuator was engaged, the wheel in the air was locked, with the actuator disengaged, it free-spun.

It made me think, with one wheel off the ground, will the front left lose traction? Does the front axle have a limited slip differential? If I have the transfer case in 4x4, but the actuator is not engaged, does that mean I will have traction on the left front but not the right front?

It seems to me that without the 4x4 actuator engaged, when placed into 4x4, the vehicle would be 3 wheel drive. Is this correct?

karateka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you have experienced how an unlocked differential works. If you had 1 wheel in the air on both front and rear then you would find you actually have "2 wheel drive"

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
karateka
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
you have experienced how an unlocked differential works. If you had 1 wheel in the air on both front and rear then you would find you actually have "2 wheel drive"
I'm fairly familiar.... I have been off roading in my 92 Chevy K1500 for 15 years. It too has a differential in the front and the dreaded spinning wheel in the air problem.

When I took the actuator cover off the axle and saw how the mechanism works, I was hoping the jeep had a solid axle design and the mechanism simply engaged the right front wheel. Obviously not...

If and when I need to replace the front differential, I might just throw in a spool and use the actuator to disengage the front right wheel when I need to turn.
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:50 AM   #4
sahara_tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you put a spool in, there will be no "disengaging" of one wheel at a time, because the spool mechanically locks the two axleshafts together in the center of the differential. If you're doing this in a front axle application, make sure you have manual locking hubs, because a spool in the front end will make it impossible to turn on the road unless the axles can be manually unlocked.

Built Not Bought #435
sahara_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
karateka
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara_tj View Post
If you put a spool in, there will be no "disengaging" of one wheel at a time, because the spool mechanically locks the two axleshafts together in the center of the differential. If you're doing this in a front axle application, make sure you have manual locking hubs, because a spool in the front end will make it impossible to turn on the road unless the axles can be manually unlocked.
Ahhh yes.... the jeep hubs are always connected to the shaft... hmmmm... I guess that's why lockers are so popular..
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

^^^what was said above is true with a TJ, however, sense you have a YJ, it's not compleatly true.
With a spool in the front of a YJ, (assuming you keep the axle disconnect) you CAN disconnect the passanger front tire. But you will most likely get vibrations from your front drive shaft at highway speeds, as it will always be spinning, even in 2wd.
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
sahara_tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

with a spool though, the two tires will still be connected inside the differential by the axleshafts. even if you disconnect the front right, as you say, both wheels will get the same amount of power because of that link (the spool). also, i'm no expert on the vacuum disconnect thing in YJ's, but in most vehicles that don't have manual locking hubs, the internals in the front end and the front driveshaft will always be spinning, even in 2wd. there is no torque applied to the driveshaft via the transfer case, but the shaft will still spin. this is because the outer stub axles are always connected to the wheels via the hubs.

Built Not Bought #435
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think there is some confusion in here. Muddy got it right

A YJ (specifically) has a front axle disconnect (the vacuum disconnect on the passenger side of the front axle)

If you spool the front differential, and are in 2wd, the driver side front wheel will turn the front driveshaft and will be neutral at the xfer case. The passanger side wheel spins freely because the axle vacuum disconnect is OPEN (passenger side axle is NOT connected to the front diff at this point)

If you spool the front and are in 4wd (front axle disconnect is now engaged) the front axle will be solid. both wheels are mechanically connected and solid.

So saraha tj, a YJ front spool can behave almost like a open diff if the vacuum disconnect is open. The vacuum disconnect happens automatically as you select 2wd / 4wd, although you can re-wire it to a switch if you really wanted to.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
sahara_tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post

A YJ (specifically) has a front axle disconnect (the vacuum disconnect on the passenger side of the front axle)

If you spool the front differential, and are in 2wd, the driver side front wheel will turn the front driveshaft and will be neutral at the xfer case. The passanger side wheel spins freely because the axle vacuum disconnect is OPEN (passenger side axle is NOT connected to the front diff at this point)

If you spool the front and are in 4wd (front axle disconnect is now engaged) the front axle will be solid. both wheels are mechanically connected and solid.

So saraha tj, a YJ front spool can behave almost like a open diff if the vacuum disconnect is open. The vacuum disconnect happens automatically as you select 2wd / 4wd, although you can re-wire it to a switch if you really wanted to.
So the vacuum disconnect disconnects the passenger side wheel from the axleshaft at the hub? I guess I'm just not understanding this whole vacuum disconnect thing.

Built Not Bought #435
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:33 AM   #10
T-WOLF2010
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well its a two piece axle shaft on the passenger side so when the vacuum disconnect or the posi-lock is disconnected the passenger side axle is two separate pieces

the on on top is a two piece yj shaft the bottom is a one piece like xj's and tj's
T-WOLF2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
karateka
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Ok, then I WAS right... I could spool the front differential and run in 2wd as long as the posi-lok was disconnected. If I engaged the transfer case and NOT the posi-lok, then I would have 3 wheel drive, and I could turn... when climbing hills head on, I could engage the posi-lok and have 4 wheel drive and it would behave as if I had a front locker with no rear locker.

I've done my own spool by simply welding the pinion gears. If I ever lose my front differential, I might do that because I plan on eventually swapping out the rear for better gears anyway.
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

if i were you i would just spend a couple hundred bucks for an aussie locker in the front. done.

the aussie replaces only your spider gears, and is (in my opinion and many others) the best automatic locker on the market.
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Like someone said earlier though, you will be spinning the front drive shaft 100% of the time, always and that can cause a lot of vibrations nearing highway speeds.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Like someone said earlier though, you will be spinning the front drive shaft 100% of the time, always and that can cause a lot of vibrations nearing highway speeds.
only if your ds is bent. when i got my aussie i got vibes bc it was bent, so i got a used one that was nice and straight and it's perfect.
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.