with 3" susp lift can i add 2" Bomerang shackles without mods to drvshaft yoke? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > with 3" susp lift can i add 2" Bomerang shackles without mods to drvshaft yoke?

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 09-30-2004, 04:25 AM   #1
ookxtreme

with 3" susp lift can i add 2" Bomerang shackles without mods to drvshaft yoke?

hello,

i just put a 3" susp lift on the islander and want to know if i can do 2" shackles without having a problem with drive shaft, yoke etc....

the lift came with longer pitman arm... rear sway bar extender(something like that)... drop transfer case...

can i do shackles also without a problem?

thanx in advance

southeastern michigan

1989 blue islander
3" RC susp. lift / new front bumper / new 258 head / carb coming soon /

makomarine@wideopenwest.com
ookxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2004, 07:32 AM   #2
desertchp

I've always generally been told anything over 3 to 3.5 inches you need the SYE and driveshaft. Especially if your going to add a 2" shackle. It would really suck to be out on the trail and the first time you have a lot of flex or suspension travel the drive shaft "slips" out and dups your trnafer case oil everywhere. Ive seen it happen and it isnt pretty.

Converted A/C to engine driven air compressor.

[URL]http://hometown.aol.com/desertjeep15689[/URL]
desertchp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2004, 08:47 AM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I helped a friend do a RE 4.5" ExtremeDuty lift with 1" shackle-lift. We installed the 1" T-case drop and it was mostly fine.

He did bust-up his rear driveshaft, so we installed a SYE (AdvanceAdapters) and a new CV driveshaft. We took out the T-case drop and found that he had some crazy vibrations at highway speeds. We re-installed the T-case drop and it has been alright since.

So - what I am tryin' to say with all this - is that a T-case drop for your 4" worth of lift would be ok for now - but if something breaks - go ahead and do the SYE.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.