3 Jeeps body and frame swap title question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3 Jeeps body and frame swap title question

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
spiegeljb
2012 JK Wrangler 

3 Jeeps body and frame swap title question

Heres the deal. I have 3 Jeeps and 3 Titles.

I searched and couldnt find the best plan of action so I figured I'd ask before I got too deep into it.

I have a 1985 CJ with a good frame and bad body

a 92 YJ with bad frame and OK body

and a DONOR 94 YJ with a good frame and good body.

All of these have titles...

I want to swap the 94 YJ tub onto the CJ... but I wasnt sure what do do for the title.. obviously being CJ I would like to keep it titled as a CJ still but was unsure about the VINs and such.

Same goes for the 92. if i replace that frame with the 94's frame would that be a titling issue? My hopes is that I will be able to get away with this and have a left over title.

I plan on using the CJ dash in the YJ... if that matters (leaving the CJ VIN on the dash)

Anyone familiar with the laws (the more information specific to MASS the better)

I'm sure someone has done this before...

Thanks,

spiegeljb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
bigmeangreen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Never done it with jeeps but have with trucks. A cousin and I swapped a 67 chevy onto a 77 blazer frame and the told us that we had to title it as a 67 pickup because that was the body and vin number. This was in TN though.
()_) ()_)--o--)_) Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
bigmeangreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here in Idaho the general rule of thumb is that the title stays with the chassis. When I was fixing my old YJ (94 that ws rolled) up I got a junkyard tub and put it on the rolled chassis. Since it was an insurance total I had to have it inspected before they would issue me a new title. The inspector noted the body change in paperwork and visually and therefore looked for a stamping on the frame for VIN. That YJ didnt have a stamping so he was fine with using the VIN plate on the windshield frame that I had transferred over onto the new tub. I had also transferred over the other various data plates that contained the VIN and other information which helped to further satisfy him. Basically as long as you keep the VIN plates with the chassis the title is intended for I dont think you will have a problem at all.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
spiegeljb
2012 JK Wrangler 

Simply keeping the bracket for the wiper motor would give me the chance to use the CJ vin... however if something were to happen such as an accident and the VINs from the body were ran would that cause some sort of issue or what?

It doesn't make sense to register an 85 CJ as a 94 YJ.. especially if the drive train and frame are stock CJ
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
18Dmedic
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The best course of action is to contact your local DMV office or a certified inspector for your state. Get a straight answer before you proceed. Each state is different.

By placing a YJ onto a CJ frame, I think you are losing value...since CJs are fetching a much higher value (in my area anyway). But that's your choice. Especially of you plan on keeping her for a good while.

I know that if you drill out the rivets that hold the VIN plate to the dash, they give you a hard time. They do in CA anyway. But the best answers would be from your local DMV office.
18Dmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
spiegeljb
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Dmedic View Post
The best course of action is to contact your local DMV office or a certified inspector for your state. Get a straight answer before you proceed. Each state is different.

By placing a YJ onto a CJ frame, I think you are losing value...since CJs are fetching a much higher value (in my area anyway). But that's your choice. Especially of you plan on keeping her for a good while.

I know that if you drill out the rivets that hold the VIN plate to the dash, they give you a hard time. They do in CA anyway. But the best answers would be from your local DMV office.
My plan is to eventually restore the CJ with the rear body of the donor YJ. Still fully CJ no one should be able to tell
Unread 05-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
manicjester3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Dmedic View Post

^Most legal course of action. In MI, I called the DMV and they told me to bring both titles in and they would basically take one and leave it titled as the vehicle that the body was originally. So I said, "Okay, thanks, have a nice day," and I just replaced the VIN plates. On the YJ, I know there is a VIN plate on the windshield, and on the tub, behind the brake booster. If your state doesn't do inspections, I say, go for it and sell the spare title/VIN plates to someone you can trust and who might need it. If the VINs all match, I would say you're fine, but if they inspect, some of the rivets that hold the VIN plates on are funky star shapes so it's easy to tell if it has been replaced.

Hope it helps.
manicjester3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

title goes to the body... done it in NY and in PA couple times (10) with R-title and clear title.

do you know how many cars driving everyday have junk yard parts on it?

I have a 93' YJ on a 95' frame, a 86 corvette motor, 89 S10 tranny, a hybrid chevy/jeep transfer case, 02' ford 8.8 rear axle and working on a 86' jeep wagoneer dana 44 front axle... As far as PA knows and/or cares its a 1993 Jeep YJ (title, registration, insurance)

Tags
body , cj , swap , title , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.