3 Distributors in 1 year! Whats the problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3 Distributors in 1 year! Whats the problem

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
MyFirstJeep_93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

3 Distributors in 1 year! Whats the problem

I have a problem that seems to not go away. To Start:

Last April: Driving down the road Jeep Dies. Get to a parking lot, friend notices the distributor is snapped at the mount. Get a new one, while making the final adjudtments, snsps the new one. Replaces it the next day. We notice there is a slight gap, the distrib. doesnt sit flush. so we throw a washer on and thigs are good.

Last month Driving down the road distributor snaps jeep dies, get it replaced snapped again today! WTF

Any ideas? am I getting the wrong distributor or what?

I drive a 93 2.5 stock.

All Stock(For Now)
MyFirstJeep_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The gap you noticed tells you the distributor is not seating in the engine properly. This could be from damage to the gear that drives the distributor (in the engine). Did you look down in the hole and see anything unusual?

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
pushead

I would definatly look in the hole at your cam. The threads may be damaged.
Unread 01-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
MyFirstJeep_93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

the distributor seats perfect the problem or gap is where the mount is, where it bolts on. it seems like there is a machined lip on the engine but everywhere I have gone say its the correct distr.

All Stock(For Now)
Unread 01-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Where in AZ do you live...PM me.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure its engaging the oil pump drive properly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFirstJeep_93
I have a problem that seems to not go away. To Start:

Last April: Driving down the road Jeep Dies. Get to a parking lot, friend notices the distributor is snapped at the mount. Get a new one, while making the final adjudtments, snsps the new one. Replaces it the next day. We notice there is a slight gap, the distrib. doesnt sit flush. so we throw a washer on and thigs are good.

Last month Driving down the road distributor snaps jeep dies, get it replaced snapped again today! WTF

Any ideas? am I getting the wrong distributor or what?

I drive a 93 2.5 stock.
pat8942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
MyFirstJeep_93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yeah everything seats fine. Am I missing a gasket or washer ?

All Stock(For Now)
Unread 01-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check your passenger side motor mount, I've seen the motor mount bolts break and the inner mount can hit the distributor when the motor torques. Its a common problem.
StreetbikeDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There is a fork on the dist body that fits over a raised area on the block do you have this lined up.
With the engine at tdc compression stroke the rotor should be pointing to the front of the engine. three o'clock position
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFirstJeep_93
yeah everything seats fine. Am I missing a gasket or washer ?
Unread 01-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #10
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have that gap "issue" also, I'm using a YJ distributor in a 2005 TJ I6, but I have also seen that on other engines as well. You can use one of those distributors with the broken mounting flange if you use a distributor clamp from a 4.2, this will hold the distributor tight & you won't have anything that will break. If you get the proper clamp, you can use it on any distributor and you won't break the flange - the two fingers of the clamp should pull down around the neck on the distributor and the tail should rest on the block, just past the flange & the bolt also stops the distributor from rotating. If you don't follow my diatribe, let me know & I'll try to find a clamp & take a pic to show the way it fits with the distributor - once you see the clamp, it should be self explanatory.

Another option would be to clean the area around the bolt hole really well and build it up with something like JB Weld (it'll hold there, the block isn't too hot for those epoxies). When the epoxy cures, file it down so that you have no gap with the distributor & gasket sitting flush in their hole. You can't guarantee that you won't put any stress on the flange - it's made of cast and is brittle.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where are you getting your distributers from? I had a issue from one I got from a parts store. Went with a OE one from the dealership and have not had a problem since. More exspensive but worth it!
Unread 01-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Don't try to fix it by JB welding anything or anything else.
If the dist isn't going all the way into the engine you have minimal gear contact on the cam and more importantly the oil pump drive.
This is a 2.5 Right?
Just give me the benefit of the doubt and see if you have a portion of the dist that has a v shaped groove in it and look for a raised line in the block near the dist hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
The gap you noticed tells you the distributor is not seating in the engine properly. This could be from damage to the gear that drives the distributor (in the engine). Did you look down in the hole and see anything unusual?
Unread 01-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #13
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Don't try to fix it by JB welding anything or anything else.
If the dist isn't going all the way into the engine you have minimal gear contact on the cam and more importantly the oil pump drive.
This is a 2.5 Right?
Just give me the benefit of the doubt and see if you have a portion of the dist that has a v shaped groove in it and look for a raised line in the block near the dist hole.
These dist's are not desinged to be turned after install.
They have to be installed in a particular way to make everything work right.
That is the reason for the fork line setup.
I really doubt anyone has run into this cuz its a 2.5 thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
Unread 01-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #14
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I guess my explanation wasn't understood, so I'll give it another shot with some pictures. The distributor on a 4 liter engine can have the problem where the flange intended to stop it's rotation can break off. This has nothing to do with the distributor not going in far enough or poor manufacture - the problem resides with the block itself. When the distributor is fully inserted, the flange I'm describing, doesn't come down flush with where you'd expect it to be in order to bolt it down and this is because that part of the casting is LOWER than where the neck of the distributor fits in. I don't have any pictures of the block to show you, but the pictures of the distributors should give you a good indication of what I'm describing.

First, here's a picture of three different distributors, one is from the new variety of I6 that has no cap & is for the cam sensor only - here you can see that they no longer even have the flange. The other two are of the same configuration, but one has the flange broken.

Here's a closer picture of the flange:

And, here's a picture of the hold-down (clamp in my previous description) you need to solve the breakage problem:

Here's a picture of a bolt sitting on top of the flange - you can see that it's not machined for the bolt to provide even pressure:

Here's a picture of the hold down positioned properly to pull the distributor tight against it's mating surface & the bolt also positions the distributor correctly but doesn't put any pressure on the flange - no breakage. The bolt in this picture is obviously too short, I just happened to have it handy for the picture.

Here's one more from a different view:

I hope this proves to be helpful - the distributor with the broken flange is one that I broke before discovering how to deal with this problem. Some lessons can be costly, thankfully, I had several spares.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #15
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So the hold down clamp is from a different year? Mine has the flange and the hold down clamp already.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.