3 Air Intake Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3 Air Intake Questions

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
lollygagger8
1996 XJ Cherokee 

3 Air Intake Questions

1. Does anyone have a preference in a cold air intake? I have a small K&N on my 4.0, but there's nothing sheilding the filter, so do I just have a hot air intake? Am I gaining anything (over the stock system) with this setup?

2. Also, has anybody used those Tornado Air things?? Are they really worth it or are they a marketing ploy?

3. Throttle Body Spacers. Anybody have one? Does it help or is is a marketing ploy? I've heard mixed reviews all day long. Please only comment is you've actually had or have one.

Unread 05-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i have K&N air filter, the tornado crap, and a throttle body spacer.
To be quite honest, i don't know that any of it did much, if anything. The only thing i would consider again would be the K&N filter. Throttle body spacer i got for cheap, and the tornado thing i got for cheap too. Wouldn't buy either again.. JMO
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, and the best mpg i get is 20 with factory size tires and wheels.
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
bisland-yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Popular Mechanics tested a whole bunch of the power-adding gimmicks a while back, including the tornado, the magnetic fuel de-ionizer (or whatever that thing is), and several others. I'm pretty sure they all hurt performance, and one actully caught fire. IMHO there are too many other ways to spend money on a jeep; why waste it on something under the hood that isn't going to make any noticable difference?

edit: just found the article; tornado REDUCED peak hp by about 10%

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...32.html?page=2
bisland-yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
David K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisland-yj
Popular Mechanics tested a whole bunch of the power-adding gimmicks a while back, including the tornado, the magnetic fuel de-ionizer (or whatever that thing is), and several others. I'm pretty sure they all hurt performance, and one actully caught fire. IMHO there are too many other ways to spend money on a jeep; why waste it on something under the hood that isn't going to make any noticable difference?

edit: just found the article; tornado REDUCED peak hp by about 10%

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...32.html?page=2
I read that article too. They told you why it doesn't work too. The tornado is dogged any time I have read anything about it.

JP mag mentioned them aslo as crap. They aslo said that there is a following of people that love TB spacers but they don't do much...Then they did the "trail jammer" and with the spacer and intake alone got +2mpg.

I have an airaid on my 4.0 XJ and it does nothing for MPG but I would agree that the throtle is a little more responsive and a touch more power. If I had to guess at the power I would say 5.4609925 more hp
David K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
bayvilleYJ

All that stuff is garbage. If anything , get a snorkel , ive even heard bad things about them restricting flow. Stock isnt that bad , a lot of research goes into stuff like that . I guess they took a break when they decided on the dana 35 though.
bayvilleYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't waste your money. I just took out my AEM Brute Force Intake. The stupid thing is a vacuum waiting to hydrolock your motor. Use the money and get a snorkel, you'll get cooler, cleaner and more air to your engine. I recommend ARB. I have more HP with the ARB Snorkel than I had with the AEM.
Unread 05-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

its all crap...leave it to the teenagers...
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 07:01 AM   #9
lollygagger8
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, that was a good article! Looks like the Tornado is not happening. As far as the throttle body spacer, I haven't heard enough things about them to add one to my Jeep unless I found one for $1...but then again a Wendy's chicken sandwich does sound kind of good right now.
Unread 05-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
bisland-yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Feeding a chicken sandwich to the engine would probably have better results than some of the things they tested
bisland-yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.