3.5 lift = drive line dropped - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3.5 lift = drive line dropped

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
gg-boy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

3.5 lift = drive line dropped

I just bought a 88 yj wrangler and put a 3.5 inch lift on it. I have the tc lowering kit already installed, but the stock drive line.
Taking off I was getting a vibration that would smooth out pretty quick, only to start again at a little higher speed. the drive line popped off at the tc side.
I have read that a slip yoke eliminator would not be needed but is not sure what else it could be. Could I just add the rear cv driveshaft? I have no clue!!!

gg-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A sye may not be needed, but your factory driveline is most likely too short
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome!

A SYE and dc driveshaft is recommended. You can have a Cherokee front shaft cut and balanced at valley driveline in Stockton for relatively cheap.
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
gg-boy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do i need the sye to add the cv driveshaft? or can i just get a yoke connect the shaft?
gg-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The combination is the winning ticket.
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
GaryEMS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Anti theres also a place in Modesto who did the CV joint on my K5. C and H balancing. He used to build drive lines for Bill Elliot.. great guy.. His name is Chuck.. Just tell him Gary from TBA referred you.. or anyone for that matter whos close to MOtown
GaryEMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I actually go talk to the owner of valley balancing at his Ceres shop when I need work done. Never hurts to network a bit. I will check them out.
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg-boy View Post
Do i need the sye to add the cv driveshaft? or can i just get a yoke connect the shaft?
You can figure this out using common sense.

Take a look at your rear output and how your drive shaft 'attaches.' It should be quite obvious as to why it's called a slip yoke.

Now pull up handy dandy Google and look at a double cardan drive shaft or a SYE kit, either one or both. It should be quite obvious as to why the rear output yoke is called a fixed yoke.

You will be left with no question at all if you can use a double cardan drive shaft with a slip yoke.

It's as simple as that.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.