3 for 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3 for 3

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Five0
1992 YJ Wrangler 

3 for 3

Well so far I have posted twice with issues and thanks to all the help from everyone I have found solutions to both problems, so lets try to go 3 for 3. LOL

My 4.0 in the 92 YJ with a 110 thousand on the odometer is very sluggish and about 60mph or so is as fast as it will reach in 4th. When we drop into 5th it's a steady decline until about 50mph and it just stays there unless I hit a hill, (ever see the commercial where the old dude on the bicycle passes his car, yea that's me). I can get back to 4th and it will pick up a little. It will not turn more than 3 grand in 4th or 5th, it just runs out of umph. Here's a list of new parts.
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, new exhaust, header, new cat, air filter and so on. I will be putting a new in line gas filter on tomorrow but the one on now is not that old according to the previous owner. When I put the header on I saw that the injectors were a little dirty so I ran a can of sea foam but no help so far. I'm running 33's with stock gears and a 4 inch lift. There's no heavy equiment on this thing so it's not that heavy. I don't need to go fast but it should pull a little better.

Any ideas,
Thanks again to everyone for the help, Great Forum.

Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds only slightly worse than both of our ('91 & '93) 4.0L YJ's with 33's & 3.07 gears.

Regearing should be your priority, IMO.

It is for ours.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

easiest way to regear is to find a set of 4cyl axles. (4.10 ratio) and swap them in where the originals are

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
easiest way to regear is to find a set of 4cyl axles. (4.10 ratio) and swap them in where the originals are
^^^Yep, spoken for truth!^^^

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Five0
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well I guess that settles that. I just thought that the little 6cyl should do a little more. Oh well, I guess it's time to start looking for gears. Is 4.10 a reasonable ratio for limited street use?
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
Well I guess that settles that. I just thought that the little 6cyl should do a little more. Oh well, I guess it's time to start looking for gears. Is 4.10 a reasonable ratio for limited street use?
Mathematically calculated, 3.49 gears would make 33's omn 3.07's "feel" like the stock 29" tires felt on 3.07's gears.

So 4.10 gears on 33" tires would actually have lower gearing than stock.

Play around with the numbers here 4LO.COM :: On-Line Gear/Tire Size Calculators

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 03-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

3k in 4th gear?

I pull *** on the highway in 4th. 5th for flat or downhill. I can hit 75 if I'm not facing headwind easily.

Then again, I BARELY press on the gas pedal.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Five0
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In 5th I can mat it and will not pull past 25 to 28 grand and 50mph or so and it's on it's face. I did forget to mention that I will soon be putting on a set of 35's.
Just because of the way the motor feels, I'm still not sure that all the mechanical stuff is on the up and up so I'm gonna continue to look and go from there. Max, thanks for the chart it will help with geaer selection.
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
In 5th I can mat it and will not pull past 25 to 28 grand and 50mph or so and it's on it's face. I did forget to mention that I will soon be putting on a set of 35's.
Just because of the way the motor feels, I'm still not sure that all the mechanical stuff is on the up and up so I'm gonna continue to look and go from there. Max, thanks for the chart it will help with geaer selection.

If you go 35s you WILL have to regear and also change the rearend from a D35 to a Ford 8.8 or stronger.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, re-gear is a good idea especially if you're going up to 35's.

I also don't even bother with 5th until it's flat or negative tilt, or less then 60mph or so.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
Yury
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
1000 appologies to the OP for thread theft but does this work for TJ,s as well?

thank you in advance
Yury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
In 5th I can mat it and will not pull past 25 to 28 grand and 50mph or so and it's on it's face.

Max, thanks for the chart it will help with gear selection.
I haven't used 5th gear in years.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
1000 appologies to the OP for thread theft but does this work for TJ,s as well?
Yes.

thank you in advance
Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 03-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #13
Yury
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Max
thanks MAX
Yury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well so far I have posted twice with issues and thanks to all the help from everyone I have found solutions to both problems, so lets try to go 3 for 3. LOL

My 4.0 in the 92 YJ with a 110 thousand on the odometer is very sluggish and about 60mph or so is as fast as it will reach in 4th. When we drop into 5th it's a steady decline until about 50mph and it just stays there unless I hit a hill, (ever see the commercial where the old dude on the bicycle passes his car, yea that's me). I can get back to 4th and it will pick up a little. It will not turn more than 3 grand in 4th or 5th, it just runs out of umph. Here's a list of new parts.
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, new exhaust, header, new cat, air filter and so on. I will be putting a new in line gas filter on tomorrow but the one on now is not that old according to the previous owner. When I put the header on I saw that the injectors were a little dirty so I ran a can of sea foam but no help so far. I'm running 33's with stock gears and a 4 inch lift. There's no heavy equiment on this thing so it's not that heavy. I don't need to go fast but it should pull a little better.

Any ideas,
Thanks again to everyone for the help, Great Forum.
that's normal. I had 33's with 3.07 at the beginning of the month. My jeep drove exactly like yours, 5th was just like a slow brake.

I went to 4.10 gears in the last few weeks. Only put 10 miles on in since the switch. Drove it to work today and was SOOOOOO happy with my new shift points I intended to post about it. Its a major improvement. I used a 4cyl front and 8.8 rear. I would do it again in a second.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly if you are going with 35's soon, you might consider upgrading axles unless you really like swapping them out. I mean since you are already going to do it, you might as well do it right.
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.