2WD Low install issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2WD Low install issue

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

2WD Low install issue

Okay- I'm just wrapping up my install of the Tera 2WD low conversion (and a SYE) in my NP231. I put everything back together, and I can't get the t-case to engage any gears. I'm thinking it's out of adjustment, but the adjusting rod is FROZEN. Is this the likely culprit, or did I screw something up?

I've done one of these in my JK, and that went smoothly, but this booger just won't give me a gear/range. Frustrating! Anyway, SYE install went well- hoping I NEVER have to deal with those awful snap rings again! Cheers- Mark W.

thaduke2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow- no views? Nobody wants to touch this? Mark W.
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you flip the new fork over?
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How do you mean? Install it upside down? Mark W.
Unread 03-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I recall having to cut about an inch off the shaft when I did my SYE. Mine was a different brand J & B I think. There was a step to mesure it and I skipped it put it all together and could not shift it at all. Went back and re-read the directions and sure enough I needed to cut the shaft.

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on cutting the shift fork shaft.
I had to cut mine down too.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

shouldnt*** have to cut on a 94 though. the 91 case I had was too long, the 93 case was just right. are you bench testing it, or is it back in the jeep? it takes some uumph to bench shift them even when its together right. Also going to assume you didnt forget to put the mode spring back on :O
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ruh roh. First time I opened a tcase, I ended up having to redo it once or twice. Forgot some little thing and then couldn't get a piece lined anymore
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Okay- I measured the shaft before I put it in, and it was dead nuts.
The case is back in the Jeep.
Mode spring is still in there
The adjusting link is utterly frozen, so I'm working on either making something up or finding another (har har!). I called Teraflex today, and they agreed that it's probably just out of adjustment. I'll keep fiddling and see what I find- Mark W.
Unread 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does the 2lo give you true neutral as well?

Unread 03-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoore-on View Post
Does the 2lo give you true neutral as well?
Its an option when you buy the kit

EDIT: the 4:1 kit comes with the true neutral plate...the 2low is an option
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Damn, I have the 4;1 sitting on my welding table waiting to get installed! Bummer, I should have called when I ordered it. I guess I can still switch it out. Thanks

Unread 03-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #13
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Damn, I have the 4;1 sitting on my welding table waiting to get installed! Bummer, I should have called when I ordered it. I guess I can still switch it out. Thanks
ARe you wanting the 2 low feature or just the true neutral plate? cause you have the plate now... nothing to switch out unless you want to 2 low feature
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
Unread 03-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I looked this morning & there is no shift plate at all in the Teralow case that I got. I assume I would remove & re-use the one from the 231 case? I will be ordering the 2-low today and will ask about the tru-neutral option.

Unread 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I looked this morning & there is no shift plate at all in the Teralow case that I got. I assume I would remove & re-use the one from the 231 case? I will be ordering the 2-low today and will ask about the tru-neutral option.
Ok. my bad, guess its with the 2low kit.. Sorry about that

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.