Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2nd Gear Difficulty

507 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Mean Max 
#1 ·
I just had my transmission opened up and looked at. Had replaced whatever needed replaced/fixed. Also had my clitch and flywheel replaced. Had the motor and transmission mount replaced.

1 problem. My 2nd gear, like it did before i sent it in, still has a very difficult time getting in. Is this a common issue with jeeps? My buddy who has a jeep has a tough time with his 2nd gear as well. Said he uses the Redline MT-90 transmission fluid to make it a little bit better but still has a problem.

i've got a 4 cylinder 2.5 AX-15 tranny and have been having this problem for a while now. This shouldn't be an issue but it won't go away.

Any suggestions?

Edit: It won't go in sometimes. Sometimes it needs to get really pulled it. Other times it slipps and makes all that annoying slipping noise getting in. This is pretty frustrating and i thought i exhausted all of the solutions.

#2 ·
Unless it's been converted to an AX-15, you should have an AX-5 transmission behind your 2.5L YJ. What you're describing sounds like a syncro issue. Whoever "opened up" your gearbox either didn't know what they were looking at, or didn't open it up at all but charged you extra for absolutely nothing. There is no way to "replace stuff that needs replacing" in an AX-5 without total disassembly. Anyone who would go that far & NOT completely rebuild it is an idiot.

My advice is to stop letting that hacker "work" (term used loosely) on your Jeep.

Max

Sent from my HTC Incredible Droid

#4 ·
Here is a good laugh for you, now mind you this is from an AX-15.
PO said that it always grinds into gear (he really had no idea that this wasn't normal).
I had to tell him after the fact (after I picked it up) that it really wasn't normal, and what happens when you run ATF in the tranny (again not sure why they were running ATF in the tranny)
but here is what it can look like when they do dumb things:

This is 2nd gear syncro and the keyway is fubared; the stuff that is hidden that takes a full rebuild to find.

#5 ·
Most of the ones I change look just like that or worse. But running ATF in a manual gearbox is not new, or unusual. Back when I worked as a dealership tech for Mercedes-Benz/BMW/Volvo we used ATF as per the TM. Also, a friend of mine owns a transmission shop & he uses ATF in every manual box he builds. Personally, I prefer the 10W-30 motor oil in my AX-15.

Max

Sent from my HTC Incredible Droid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.