258 experts I need help, new motor no oil pressure - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 258 experts I need help, new motor no oil pressure

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 05-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

From your posts, it appears you assembled the engine.

Did you use a factory service manual as a guide, or what did you use?

These engines (even when new) are supposed to have the main and rod bearings hand fitted, and this can only be done with plastiguage. There are procedures in the manual for adjustments as small as .0005 inch . The proper clearance and torque specs are there as well, and must be adhered to .

In one of your pics, it shows the rockers, pivots, and bridges chunked in a box, this is unacceptable as they are mated to each other and the pushrods as well once run. The push rods also should also go back on the lifters they ran on.

Unread 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
johnnykind
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Everybody... thanks for all your help, pulled the engine again and went through everything... turns out I'm just dumb

after taking everything apart I found out that I did put the thrust bearing in the wrong place... and I did not put the galley plug back in that goes behind the timing chain... I went back through my Factory Service Manuel and 4 outta 5 pics showed that hole as being empty, in the 5th pic you cant tell if there is a plug there or not???

And the rebuild kit didn't come with enough plugs for the whole engine.... So my clearances are good just put in a new set of bearings and used a plasti gauge this time...now I have great oil pressure and the engine runs smooth and quite....now I just have to figure out what the hell that transmission noise in 4th gear is...guess its time to rebuild that one too....

thanks again to everybody for helping out this forum rocks!!!
johnnykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #18
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I know this post is a few months old now, but Im about to rebuild my 4.2 in my 88YJ. Do you have any suggestions, tips, or precautions to look out for. This will be my first attempt at rebuilding an engine. My Brother will be helping me and has rebuilt a few Mitsubishi 4cyl engines but thought i would ask the experts who actually rebuilt a few of the Jeep engines first...

Thanks in advance.
rksnow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
Hillbilly Jeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

personally... doin a rebuild is awsome.. b.c u know what u get when ur done... but on the other hand.. what i did was i bought a rebuilt from advance auto.. and i havent had any problems with it... back in 02 i think i bought it.. and i payed like 900 for it..but also got a discount but anyway just my 2 cents
Hillbilly Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low oil pressure , new jeep help , oil pump , problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.