258 Crankshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 258 Crankshaft

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 08-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
BugEatinSteve
1988 YJ Wrangler 

258 Crankshaft

alright i'm in some garbage but to keep it short i have an 88 yj with the obvious 4.2L and need to get a hold of a Crankshaft been reading and from what i gather i need the one with the 2.5" snout since i have the V-belt set up if anyone knows if thats right let me know and also if anyone knows where to find a crank tell me too

BugEatinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

If you get the longer snout, you just need to put a 3/8" spacer on the end before tightening the bolt up.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
If you get the longer snout, you just need to put a 3/8" spacer on the end before tightening the bolt up.
Hesco sells the spacer and Scat sells NEW cranks
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Unless the old one is broken, re-cut it and run under size bearings.
Unread 08-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you end up needing a crankshaft and can't find one, call here:

AMC4X4.COM

They have pallets full of them.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
BugEatinSteve
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yeah none of that even helped.... is the crank with a 2.5" snout the proper crankshaft i need to get since i have the V-belt pulleys or do i have to get one with the 2" snout which i have read is for the serpentine belt setup..... again any real help would be fine.... i don't care about undersized berings... why would i have to put a 3/8" spacer on the end if it calls for the longer snout wouldn't it go on before the harmonic balancer... like a spacer would be....what would i have to re-cut.... and brown dog.... you're the only one helpful at all in this thread
Unread 08-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugEatinSteve View Post
yeah none of that even helped.... is the crank with a 2.5" snout the proper crankshaft i need to get since i have the V-belt pulleys or do i have to get one with the 2" snout which i have read is for the serpentine belt setup..... again any real help would be fine.... i don't care about undersized berings... why would i have to put a 3/8" spacer on the end if it calls for the longer snout wouldn't it go on before the harmonic balancer... like a spacer would be....what would i have to re-cut.... and brown dog.... you're the only one helpful at all in this thread
Since you read all about the different snout lengths. Then you should have been able to figure out what you need to do if you run a v belt on a serp crank.

The posters here offered several ways to do about getting a crank. From vendors of new to having yours turned down. All the way to a source of the spacer ...if you need one.

Does your mommy hold your hand when you go to the bathroom ? Or do you have a fundamental lack of explaining what you want to do. ?
Unread 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
BugEatinSteve
1988 YJ Wrangler 

well dude.... I wasn't sure if the Information that i have read was the proper information and before i F**K up my ride by wearing a hole in my timing cover like what happened from the last A$$hole who owned my jeep i would like to know if its right... i don't need my crank turned down i just need a new one... **** broke and i need to find the proper info so it don't happen again... and telling me to put a spacer doesn't tell me why i need a spacer to begin with and like i said only one person has been helpful at all on this entire thread is brown dog yeah he's right now my best friend cause i can get what i need from his post....... people need to explain more when they post when it comes down to it so don't be a **** when you live in michigan
Unread 08-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What does Michigan have to do with anything? and you'll get much better responses if you learn a little etiquette.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

If you took the time to follow the Scat or Hesco company websites you will see when the spacer is requires.

Hint, If you have a V belt then you will need a spacer so the balancer will tighten down. As the vast majority of 258 cranks are long nosed.

It would have been a big help if you told us what was wrong with the crank to begin with. How the heck are we supposed to know it is broken and cannot be repaired ?

Get off you pedestal and have mommy figure things out for you.
Unread 08-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can order a crank kit with new bearings from Auto Zone for $200

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...uestid=1088397

Part number 25300
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugEatinSteve View Post
well dude.... I wasn't sure if the Information that i have read was the proper information and before i F**K up my ride by wearing a hole in my timing cover like what happened from the last A$$hole who owned my jeep i would like to know if its right... i don't need my crank turned down i just need a new one... **** broke and i need to find the proper info so it don't happen again... and telling me to put a spacer doesn't tell me why i need a spacer to begin with and like i said only one person has been helpful at all on this entire thread is brown dog yeah he's right now my best friend cause i can get what i need from his post....... people need to explain more when they post when it comes down to it so don't be a **** when you live in michigan
If you have Serpentine belts, you need the short crank. If you have Vee belts you need the long crank. If someone put the wrong balancer on or it came apart, it would chew through the timing cover.
If you have the long crank but need a serpentine pulley, you can put one on and put the 3/8" spacer on the outside to make up for the extra long crank.
4.0L and 4.2L serpentine belt balancers are different. The 4.0L pulley is 3/8" closer to the motor (where the belt rides) If the 4.0L pulley is put on a 4.2L, it will chew through the timing cover.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #13
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Wow, what a jerk.

Brown Dog was the only one that helped? Really.

Maybe you can put a little more information in your post next time so that people know what the hell you are talking about.

I for one won't be answering any questions you might ask with an attitude like that. I'm sure most other members here feel the same way.

Have a nice day.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.