258/4.2L Torque/HP charts Carter/Weber - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 258/4.2L Torque/HP charts Carter/Weber

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
UnFocused
1989 YJ Wrangler 

258/4.2L Torque/HP charts Carter/Weber

I found these charts presumably from Weber comparing their carb performance versus the stock Carter. Obviously theirs perform better than the Carter (upper lines for 32/36 and 38 - I canít tell which is which) in all cases but what is telling (no big surprise here) is that:

1) the 258 gets max torque at 2K and tanks after 2.5K;
2) the 258 gets max HP at 3K (3.5K Weber) and tanks thereafter;
3) most economical operating range is 2K to 2.5K.

No really new info here, just nice to finally see some charts Ö

http://www.clutchkitcenter.com/media...weber/Jeep.gif

UnFocused is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 04:13 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Man, that was not impressive at all. I hope those aren't really the numbers the engine makes, that is so sad for such Such a large displacement online 6.
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The biggest problem with that engine is the head... it just does not breath. Look at what happens when you stroke it and use a better head or just the head alone.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14767780]It goes in that barrel you wheel out to the street once a week.[/QUOTE]

My build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/new-build-thread-867043/[/url]
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Those are likely dyno numbers (rear wheel HP). There is a reason car makers report shaft horsepower, the real numbers on all engines is rather lackluster. You'd be suprised what a 36 horsepower tractor can do, it is A LOT of power............................................. ..........Looks like the aftermarket carb gives maybe a 10% power increase over stock (at high rpms). That is IF you get it dialed in right. Not much bang for the buck in my book. And my engine never sees 3,000 rpms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.