258 with 140k and knock. Oil weight question. Timatoe this ones for you lol - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 258 with 140k and knock. Oil weight question. Timatoe this ones for you lol

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 07-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
RobertJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

258 with 140k and knock. Oil weight question. Timatoe this ones for you lol

Ok so as I said I have a 258 with 140k miles on it and a knock. I've heard that my knock is a collapsed lifter, piston slap, timing chain, valve tick and so on. Can't track the knock down but I've got good compression and good oil pressure as well so I'm not too worried. I've been running 15w40 Delo in this thing for about 1000 miles and it is black so I'm gonna do an oil change. I was curious if I would be fine switching over to 20w40 or 20w50 to help quiet her down a bit and get her lubed pretty good? Also the temps here at the moment are consistently between 60-70F at 6am and 90-105F by noon. In the winter the temps can get below 20F so I would obviously be switching over to 10w30 in the winter. Thanks again y'all for your help.

Timatoe or Mr. B live near here so what's your input fellas?

Cell: (714) 878-0234
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
UboatCmdr
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If your throwing new oil in try shell rotella 15 30, had awesome experiences with it. Has quieted down two jeep I have owned and my friends sisters. I can't remember the technical of it but there's tons of info out on it.
Your definitely fine in that weather, I ran my Cherokee in -20c and it would still start.

Also try a napa gold filter they're alot better than fram.
UboatCmdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.