231 help!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 231 help!!!!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

231 help!!!!

Pulling my hair out on this one. Transfercase sticks in 4hi, had it apart 3 times can't find anything mechanically wrong with it and i try shifting it by hand on the bench and all seems fine. Once installed i shift into 4x4 and back into 2hi and the front shaft stays engaged. I have pulled the linkage off counted the position clicks back into 2 hi and still stuck. Usually after 15-20 minutes of driving it will all of a suddens jump back into 2hi.

Just hoping someone might have some insight into this problem, maybe something i am overlooking. The front axle disengages but not the transfercase.

meangreeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your linkage is the problem. Have you actually shifted it from 4wd to 2wd and, while it was stuck, got under to see what position the shift lever is in? If it shifts fine on your bench then something in your linkage is causing the problem
Unread 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i have taken the linkage off and shifted it by hand under the vehicle but had no luck front shaft still engaged
Unread 10-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

do you have a body lift? sometimes that crates an issue with the trans tunnel opening where it hits and you cant get the shifter to move correctly. buzz the opening open more.
also, sometimes the linkage adjuster gets loose and needs some attention. check and see if you need to re-adjust it.
Unread 10-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

no body lift ands it does this without the linkage hooked up. shifting with my hand under the vehicle, gotta be something internal i am over looking i think.
Unread 10-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mean,

I am not sure about this. When I was putting my YJ together, I was having problems shifting my NP231. I couldn't shift it by "hand" at all. I called up JB Conversions who specialize in these transfer cases and he told me that you couldn't shift it by hand from underneath. What I am thinking is, do you think your internals are so loose that they are jamming up once it is together? My brand new NP231 doesn't shift by "hand" at all... that is why I am thinking something is "falling" out of sync, maybe just enough to be a wedge.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

that is a possibility, i just spoke with a trans guy i know and he suggested that the syncro in the transfercase is wore out and travelling to far and then jamming. It would then eventually pop loose after driving for awhile. Sounds like my problem but i will keep all informed after i yank it out and take a look for the 4th time in 2 years
Unread 10-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mine has been out of my yj 3 times in the past month. Dont feel bad haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.