231 & 242 transfer case swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 231 & 242 transfer case swap?

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
aheborn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

231 & 242 transfer case swap?

Hi All
I am doing a frame-off restoration of a 1989 YJ Laredo. I have the 4.2L I6 with auto trans. I believe it's the TF999 tranny, yes? It's followed by a 2312 AMC transfer case which is completely shot. I have an '88 Cherokee with an I6 and it's followed by an 242 AMC transfer case (Quadratech?). Will they bolt up?
Thanks for all your help! These threads have been priceless.

Unread 11-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if your auto tranny is stock, then yes it's a tf999

from the XJ FAQS:
NP242 = "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO - used 87-01

as I understand it, a cherokee trans has the t/c clocked differently than a wrangler, so you will have to drill new mounting holes to get it clocked correctly for your application
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
if your auto tranny is stock, then yes it's a tf999

from the XJ FAQS:
NP242 = "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO - used 87-01

as I understand it, a cherokee trans has the t/c clocked differently than a wrangler, so you will have to drill new mounting holes to get it clocked correctly for your application
Or buy one of these and clock it with it....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/motor...0-shipped.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
aheborn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't really know what "clocking it" means but I'll find out.
Thanks for your help both of you. I wonder if it would be easier to buy a junkyard one or a remanufactured one. Found one for $700 but seems like a lot.
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Think of the body of the transfer case as the hand on a clock. A clocking ring bolts between the transmission and transfer case and allows you to clock the transfer case by rotating the transfer case, usually in 10 degree increments, either up or down depending on the application.
Quote:
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
aheborn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet thanks
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Look in my 8.8 swap thread below for my experience with a clock ring. It's in the Tummy Tuck section.

Short answer - I recommend redrilling the mounting holes in the transmission flange to the desired clock angle. It saves $75, and ensures that everything will seal properly. That being said, I did find the clock ring to be an awesome drill template
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
aheborn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I found a transfer case attached to a 4.2 & tranny for $50! Dragged it out from the woods and proceeded to completely disassemble the transfer case & rebuild. Should be good now.
Unread 12-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheborn
I found a transfer case attached to a 4.2 & tranny for $50! Dragged it out from the woods and proceeded to completely disassemble the transfer case & rebuild. Should be good now.
That is a good deal. I paid $60 for the NP231 AMC I put in my 87. Good find!
Quote:
Unread 12-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheborn View Post
My favorite kind of find! I got thousands of dollars of VW Beetle stuff for almost nothing whenever I had to drag stuff out of the woods

For the record- 'clocking' the transfer case is not big deal. Parts-shelf-parts-number dependency isn't beneficial, imho. Basically you locate it where it needs to be and drill new holes. Install bolts. Done. And $700 is a crazy price for a transfer case. I have two I would sell right now for that! Heck, at $700 I would take the t-case out of my DD and sell it. $100- $250 tops is what I see.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.