2300 miles in a 4cyl jeep... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2300 miles in a 4cyl jeep...

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits 2010-14 Jeep Wrangler Island Topper Black Rugged Ridge 1352007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door Black Cargo Net (

Unread 04-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #16
Piet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Change your fluids, fix any creaky joints... then check your jeep.
I think your jeep will fair better than you. Travel with the Hard top (quieter)
Make sure your seats are good! It is not a New yorker... so any bit of padding helps.

- Peter ----------- Canadian Jeep Club Member #1969
2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon "Ubercon" - 3.8L V6, 6 Spd Manual, RockTrac with Dana 44's on 32's. Mostly stock for now...
SOLD - 1988 Jeep Wrangler "Golden Eagle" - 350 TBI, NV4500, Dana 300, Detroit Locked Dana 44, Spooled 9", SOA, 37" MTR's
SOLD - 1994 Jeep Wrangler "Oliver" - 4 Cylinder Stocker on 31" Kuhmo MTs
Piet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #17
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

OOPS I meant 1,950
I guess I should have said Southwest New Mexico 30 miles from the Mexican border.
I checked on Streets and trips and it was 1,850 so I was off by 100 miles, still a long way.
[QUOTE=blue1989yj;5157425]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942 View Post
I drove mine from Michigan to New Mexico about 19500 miles with no problem.
QUOTE]

That's a lot further than I remembered Michigan and New Mexico. LOL

To the OP, change all fluids, bring the spare parts you want, there is also a great list of spares in the FAQ section. Maps, Emergency Kit, extra water, and go for it. Bring a camera, you will see some nice sights along the way for sure.
Unread 04-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #18
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Based on my past experiences, here's what I'd do:

Change the oil before the trip. Check all your fluids before you leave. Inflate the tires to about 3 pounds over the rated number. This will get you a bit better mileage without wearing out the centers.

Bring a quart of oil with you as well as a gallon of water and a gallon of anti-freeze in case the cooling system looses water. Check the fluids every 1000 miles or so. Check the tire pressure once during the trip if you feel inclined.

When you pull off the highway for gas or whatever, let the engine idle for a couple of minutes before shutting it down. This will let it cool down a bit, but that's probably more important the further south you get. If you're making the trip in the summer then be ready for 95 degree heat in Texas.

You should be fine driving at 70 or 75 MPH. Just remember that anyone zipping by at 85 or 90 isn't getting the best gas mileage
Couldn't have said it better myself. I have driven this far more than once. It isn't so bad. Frankly, I would have no problem jumping in my '91 and doing it right now.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #19
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i would also recommend a spare oil sensor. my 4cyl, blew a sensor while going uphill 250 miles from home, blew out almost all the oil and almost left me stranded. i now always carry a spare, the correct socket for it, and lots of oil, at least 4quarts.

dont forget the digital camera. should be an awesome trip.

BTW. You should DEFINITELY drive it! You didn't see Sarah Connor or McGiver have their YJ's towed or shipped on long trips did you?
Unread 04-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #20
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

I agree with what the others have posted, but also make sure you check the important hoses ahead of time! Extra coolant and water is fine, but not having the hose to hold them sure makes things difficult! Goodluck, and safe drive!
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #21
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Wow! So many helpful and encouraging posts! This is why I come here. Looks like my subscription ran out, better kick it in again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillen View Post
If this was me, I'd be bringing my G27 with a few clips of hollow points
Hah! I think my trusty Gerber is all I can muster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrTjk
make sure you check the important hoses ahead of time!
Amen to that, former LT1 owner here and dem hoses can be a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet
I think your jeep will fair better than you.
Truth. I drive 300 miles round trip to see my girl every month and I can barely survive that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessedjeeper
Just keep an eye on your guages while you are on the road
I will; four days of driving I will have nothing better to do. Oorah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444
Everything!
very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw
I've driven my YJ a round trip of 3000miles to and from Moab, 4 banger did just fine averaging about 70mph on the interstate in Texas.
This is very encouraging, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportEater
...it was a life changing experiance. Never will I not own a Jeep. Good luck and have fun.
I hope this will give me some good memories, as for life changing, I hope nothing that dramatic happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker
What top/window combo will you be using? The road noise from the other traffic drove me nuts on my long trip; those foam earplugs may come in handy!
Since I am moving I have to bring my full soft top. It would be nice open air, but I have no place to store my top AND it will be extremely noisy without it. Ear plugs will be number 1 on my checklist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942
I was pulling a trailer so I didn't use 5th gear and did around 65-70 at 3K with no problems.
This is good to know, makes me feel better.

Thanks again guys!
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #22
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
Wow! So many helpful and encouraging posts! This is why I come here. Looks like my subscription ran out, better kick it in again....Thanks again guys!
By the time this thread is over, you're going to need a trailer for all of the spare parts and other stuff you'll need to bring
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #23
bignasty777
1990 YJ Wrangler 

with the 2.5 your best bet is to draft behind as many simi trucks as you can ,as often as you can
bignasty777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #24
rfross
2006 KJ Liberty 

Hey Kastraelie, I'm making a similar length trip in May - Seattle to Detroit. That requires going over the Cascades and Rockies. I'm getting all repairs and maintenance like fluids, hoses, etc., done before the trip so my son and I will be driving the 2,400 some miles. We're going to take our time and try to see some cool stuff like Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Maybe take a side trip to Yellowstone.

I'll be bringing along a multi-tool, electrical tape, duct tape, spare fuses and make sure that there is a jack and tire iron and that the spare has air. Maybe a basic set of sockets, too.
rfross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #25
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Wow, looking at some of my old threads from years gone by....

I've done the trip twice, and boy oh boy both times were incredible adventures.

Driving across the US in a 4 bangr YJ with only a bikini top and half doors is very similar to riding on a motorcycle, or even bicycle in some regards. I had to go slow, as 60 in my 2.4 was really pushing it, and if there was wind coming from the opposite direction (as there often was in AZ and NM) I was lucky to hit 45! But seeing the things I saw and weathering the weather (including a five hour jaunt at 15 degrees in UT) is something that I am glad I got to do.

My Jeep was quite faithful and did not need much to keep her going. I brought extra water for myself, as I spent almost 1000 miles in US desert. I SHOULD have brought a 5 gallon tank of gas, as there were several instances where I literally rolled into the next gas station...very scary out in the middle of nowhere texas and when its over 105 outside...Oh, ALSO I WISH I HAD A CAMERA!!! I had a crappy flip phone at the time and the pictures were trash.

My starter gave out on the second trip, and there were many push-starts to be had until I replaced it in the parking lot along with spark plugs.

I have since sold my YJ and I miss it dearly, but it did allow me to take on another adventure of a lifetime--building a CJ from rusty bolts all the way up!

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #26
AKLespaul
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillen View Post
drive it, that way you'l appreciate it more on the shorter trips..

bring a AAA card, cell phone... any other spare parts you can cram in there..... bring a good floor jack and grab a four way tire iron, an empty gas can for when you run out of fuel. PUT a spare key somewhere in the beast, and have a charged up booster pack on stand by...Maybe a few extra fuses, some duct tape, a few granola bars, a blanket, two way radio (truckers are always willing to help), spare 1157 bulbs, a head light, TWO spare tires if you can find room, matches, spare belt, maybe a wally world ratchet set, coolant, water jug..........

wow thats a ton to fit in a jeep, If this was me, I'd be bringing my G27 with a few clips of hollow points
Magazines, Please, you guys are killing me. Clips are for your M1 and revolvers.
AKLespaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #27
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Made a few 800 mile trips in my '94 2.5 YJ. Once with a shackle lift and 33s and another with 4.5" and 33s. Both times on a stock dana 35. I didn't see much of 5th gear. The first time I did it, I had "swapped" in power steering 2 days prior from junk yard parts... it was... "untested".

'94 YJ on 35s

Sept '14 YJOTM
July '13 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #28
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Having successfully completed some long trips about 10 years ago in a late sixties VW bus I drove just for the fun and adventure of it, I would want all my basic tools to rebuild ANYTHING that broke on the road. I never really needed all those tools and the spares but the peace of mind knowing I could fix anything along the way was priceless. I assembled the thing from scrap pile and swap meet pieces and got the cheapest engine rebuild kit I could find online.

I think I would travel fairly heavy for tools and certain parts if I was going to long distance a jeep just the same. The little road-trip fixes of the past that didn't seem that big of a deal would have been very inconvenient and potentially very expensive if I was dependent on some random mechanic and unknown parts availability.

But that's my opinion. I think you will be fine but then again, being over-prepared has never left me stranded a 2am on a lonely road with no fix or help in sight!

About 1984 I found myself broken down and fixing a timing chain at 3am on the Tappan zee bridge. Had it all dissassembled and ready - asked a cop who stopped where the nearest auto parts store was, and walked the 5 miles or so. I was waiting at the door when they opened. Same cop saw me leave the store (getting off his shift) and drove me back to my car. Was on the road by 9am. A tow and a mechanic wouldn't have left me enough cash to get back home...

Enjoy the trip. I personally am looking forward to another VW bus trip and have wondered about taking the YJ to Colorado for some 'wheeling once I prove my rebuild dependable. A little envious here
fishadventure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #29
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I drove my 95 from MD to Texas while towing a small uhaul trailer. The Jeep was on 33's and regeared to 4.88 but it struggled in the Appalachian mountains. Once I got to the plain states it wasn't too bad. But I spent the whole trip in 4th gear

Next time I would use a uhaul truck and tow the Jeep
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #30
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebolamonkey View Post
I Moved To Fl And Have 160000 On My 92 I Put It On The Train And Again Moving Back To Pa. I Would Look Into Shipping It. Or Rent A Uhall And A Carrier

Lewisburg Ehh

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.