2300 miles in a 4cyl jeep... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2300 miles in a 4cyl jeep...

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 04-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

2300 miles in a 4cyl jeep...

I have exhausted my options and it looks like I have to drive my 95, 4-banger to Tacoma, WA from Austin, Texas.

The trip will probably be harder on me than my jeep but I would like opinions from you guys.

My jeep has 102,000 miles on it. What little mods I have are in my specs on the left. Shifting isn't as smooth as it used to be, but if I wasn't going on such a long trip I wouldn't worry about it.

My big concern is that it is a 4-banger and overcoming air-mass on the highway puts my RPMs at about 3k at 65-70 MPH. I could drive slower, but that probably isn't safe.

How well do these vehicles hold up during exceptionally long trips? Also, besides all the regular maintenance, what other things should I have looked at before considering this drive?

Thanks for your input guys and gals.

Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
obsessedjeeper
2013 WK 

i havent been on anything that long, but i do take 3 hour trips several times a month in mine without any problems. Road driving is the easiest part of your jeeps driving life. Just keep an eye on your guages while you are on the road
obsessedjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Based on my past experiences, here's what I'd do:

Change the oil before the trip. Check all your fluids before you leave. Inflate the tires to about 3 pounds over the rated number. This will get you a bit better mileage without wearing out the centers.

Bring a quart of oil with you as well as a gallon of water and a gallon of anti-freeze in case the cooling system looses water. Check the fluids every 1000 miles or so. Check the tire pressure once during the trip if you feel inclined.

When you pull off the highway for gas or whatever, let the engine idle for a couple of minutes before shutting it down. This will let it cool down a bit, but that's probably more important the further south you get. If you're making the trip in the summer then be ready for 95 degree heat in Texas.

You should be fine driving at 70 or 75 MPH. Just remember that anyone zipping by at 85 or 90 isn't getting the best gas mileage
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

I've driven my YJ a round trip of 3000miles to and from Moab, 4 banger did just fine averaging about 70mph on the interstate in Texas.

Although once out of Texas, the long hills and higher elevation of New Mexico really killed the 4-banger power wise. On some hills I slowed to 35mph, I had to get behind semis that were slowing down too so I wouldn't get run over.

the 4-banger lacked power, but the higher RPMs of interstate travel didn't hurt it at all.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #5
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you have a 15 gallon gas tank, and have not converted it to 20 yet, you might want to do that.

5 extra gallons in 15 minures for free = less stopping for gas.
Unread 04-30-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
ImportEater
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thats a long drive.

I got my JY and then 3 weeks later took it from Cleveland area to Melbourne Fl. Drove straight down and used it for 2 weeks there and then right back up. Its a 94 with 175K miles. About a month after I needed a tranny rebuild, but I was expectinh that and atleast it didnt break on the trip. Before all I did was check fluids, oil change and updated my cd selection. The dog hated it, but it was a life changing experiance. Never will I not own a Jeep. Good luck and have fun.
ImportEater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
beer thirty

good luck on the drive man. i have to buy a car to drive to NY from reno for an internship, then sell it when i get back. there's no way i'm driving a yj on 35s 2,900 miles twice this summer.
beer thirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #8
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What top/window combo will you be using? The road noise from the other traffic drove me nuts on my long trip; those foam earplugs may come in handy!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You'll be fine. Used to be people would ride animals that distance. I think your machine will be fine.
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I drove mine from Michigan to New Mexico about 1,850 miles with no problem.
I was pulling a trailer so I didn't use 5th gear and did around 65-70 at 3K with no problems.
But mine is stock no lift and 235/75 BFG AT's.
That was over two years ago and I'm still driving it and it's still trouble free.
I had about the same mileage 102k when I made my trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
I have exhausted my options and it looks like I have to drive my 95, 4-banger to Tacoma, WA from Austin, Texas.

The trip will probably be harder on me than my jeep but I would like opinions from you guys.

My jeep has 102,000 miles on it. What little mods I have are in my specs on the left. Shifting isn't as smooth as it used to be, but if I wasn't going on such a long trip I wouldn't worry about it.

My big concern is that it is a 4-banger and overcoming air-mass on the highway puts my RPMs at about 3k at 65-70 MPH. I could drive slower, but that probably isn't safe.

How well do these vehicles hold up during exceptionally long trips? Also, besides all the regular maintenance, what other things should I have looked at before considering this drive?

Thanks for your input guys and gals.

Last edited by pat8942; 04-30-2008 at 10:14 AM..
pat8942 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I dread long road trips with the yj . I love the open air driving,but it's rough on the jeep with the wind shear and all.If I had to though I would do it. Just do the speed limit or five above,whatever the conditions will allow. Just don't push it and do check your gauges constantly,especially the r.p.m.'s in an auto tranny so it doesn't heat the fluid up too much. A good after market trans. cooler is always a good idea.Don't be in a big hurry and you'll be fine!Really though, good luck and enjoy the scenery!
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #12
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=pat8942;5157242]I drove mine from Michigan to New Mexico about 19500 miles with no problem.
QUOTE]

That's a lot further than I remembered Michigan and New Mexico. LOL

To the OP, change all fluids, bring the spare parts you want, there is also a great list of spares in the FAQ section. Maps, Emergency Kit, extra water, and go for it. Bring a camera, you will see some nice sights along the way for sure.
Unread 04-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #13
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you've taken care of the Jeep when it's needed it, it will take care of you when you need it...if yer like a lotta guys and have taken it off road, beat it to death just because you could, then haven't maintained or repaired it regularly, take the Grey Dog... If you respect yer vehicle, change the fluids frequently, repair what needs repairing, and haven't beaten it half to death, you'll be surprised how well it will travel!
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #14
Ebolamonkey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I Moved To Fl And Have 160000 On My 92 I Put It On The Train And Again Moving Back To Pa. I Would Look Into Shipping It. Or Rent A Uhall And A Carrier
Ebolamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #15
stillen

drive it, that way you'l appreciate it more on the shorter trips..

bring a AAA card, cell phone... any other spare parts you can cram in there..... bring a good floor jack and grab a four way tire iron, an empty gas can for when you run out of fuel. PUT a spare key somewhere in the beast, and have a charged up booster pack on stand by...Maybe a few extra fuses, some duct tape, a few granola bars, a blanket, two way radio (truckers are always willing to help), spare 1157 bulbs, a head light, TWO spare tires if you can find room, matches, spare belt, maybe a wally world ratchet set, coolant, water jug..........

wow thats a ton to fit in a jeep, If this was me, I'd be bringing my G27 with a few clips of hollow points

Wife's rig.... 2012...GC...24x.......blk on blk.....5.7...

05...dodge ram hemi quad 4x4..this thing sucks on fuel
stillen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.