2 ignition options... what to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2 ignition options... what to do?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

2 ignition options... what to do?

My aftermarket ignition system (Jacobs electronics Energy Pak) has the option of being setup with something called OEM ignition or magnetic pickup ignition. I am going to do the nutter when I can figure out the answer to the question of which setup do I need to use?

The PO had the oem and until now that is what I have been running with the computer as well.

Can someone help me out as to which setup I should be using? keep in mind I need to know for the nutter bypass.

Also, the unit says it is an HEI ignition, if I switch to magnetic pickups will HEI ignition still be possible?

I apologize, I am very new to this. Thanks.

bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You'll still use it on OEM after the Nutter and / or with the HEI.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The HEI is not necessary for the Nutter bypass. Team Rush is the distributor Mod but IMO the HEI is a better design and if you are considering the nutter and have a few extra $$$ then do the HEI. together they make the biggest difference in how the the Old Girls run.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm more confused but that's probably a good thing because I would have probably done something dumb without your help!

So to make it a little easier for me to explain my current situation and to make it easier for you all to help me out (God willing) I took some pictures and labeled them to show you how my YJ is currently set up. Hopefully someone can help as far as what I need to do to nutter this baby! BTW- I know the wire connectors probably aren't a good idea to keep permanent but I tried to nutter her with the stock carter before winter and failed so I used them just to quickly reassemble so I could start it every once in a while during the winter months.

The first picture shows my Jacobs Electronics Energy Pak ignition module. Some literature (which is hard to understand) that came with the ignition from the PO claims that the unit can be used as either and OEM ignition or magnetic pickup ignition. The purple and orange wires that can be seen in the first photo are the magnetic pickup option and are currently disconnected and taped off. So I assume the 4 wires coming out of the center are the OEM option (whatever that means).

The second picture shows the purple and orange from the distributor to the purple and orange coming from the loom

The third picture shows what wires coming directly off of the ignition go to. Black and white from ignition go to tach, and the remaining two wires from the ignition hookup green(ignition)-green(loom) & red(ignition)-yellow(loom) as you can see it the photo.

I hope this helps someone to help me. I need to get that sucker nuttered up cause I just swapped carbs for a weber 32/36. Thanks. bluedaffy.
ignition.jpg   loom-ign.jpg   dis-loom.jpg  
bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you look at this?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...bypass-476720/

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/ele...jn-ignition99/
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You don't need to worry about the magnetic pickup option. On mine, I installed a CRT performance HEI distributor and a MSD off road ignition box. The good thing is that my CRT distributor came with a hookup for the MSD box, it was plug and play. This allowed me to do the regular nutter before installation. With you allready having the jacobs, not sure how you proceed. However, I would forget about the magnetic and consentrate on oem setup. Others I'm sure will have some more helpfull tips.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electronic ignition , hei , ignition , nutter bypass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.