2" BDS 1" BL and 5/8 boom shackles on 31's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2" BDS 1" BL and 5/8 boom shackles on 31's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

2" BDS 1" BL and 5/8 boom shackles on 31's

I have gone through the thread how will my jeep look with xxlift and xx tires and couldn't find exactly this so, does anyone run this lift set-up and if so likes dislikes pros cons etc. Does it require a SYE CV driveshaft or transfercase drop? Extended brakelines? Pictures would be nice too.

GottaYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Shouldn't require any of those. But it'll easily clear 31's, mine cleared 33's with the springs and booms no issue.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's a common way people lift their YJ. There are no cons with they way you are describing what you want to do in my mind. I like it.
The only con might be someone who thinks you are better off with a 3.5 inch suspension lift. But really there are different schools of thought, and in my mind, there is nothing wrong with either way of doing it. There are different factors, and people have their own viewpoints. But doing it this way is a perfectly valid, and respectable way of doing it.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I cleared 31's with my 2" BDS and 5/8" MORE booms just fine. The BL is unnecessary, but would give that added peace of mind. Plus would be there when you inevitably go bigger.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I have 31's right now on stock springs and only rub when I have a lot of weight in the back. I would like to keep the 31's since I have the 2.5L. Don't want to regear or lose 5th. And I want as much clearance as possible with the least amout of driveline changes.
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is a good reason why I did, and am doing basically the same thing. Possible drive line issues I don't want to have to deal with right now. Its my daily runner, and believe me I run it. I have a another 231 T-case, I am going to install a 1 inch Body lift on top of my 2.5 suspension lift, and a jb conversions ss sye, an 8.8 axle, and an nv3550. And get an after market skid plate that tucks the transmission/crossmember higher up than stock. But, I figure in the mean-time, I am going to run my current set-up as long as it lasts. It is why I went with a minimal lift, an effort to minimize complications right now with driveline angles. It will be pretty much a non-issue when I get my sye installed.
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

And I also added the 1 inch t-case drops for now just for a little extra insurance. I have zero problems with angles. Again, when I get my sye installed, this will all be gone and tucked up much higher, but its getting me through right now.
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

From what I have read most with the 2" BDS get more than 2". So add in the BL and booms I would assume i would be around 4" of lift which kinda has me thinking I will need the TC drop. As far as the clearance, have plans for TJ flares and fender trimming.
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #9
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You will be a under 4 I believe with that, but higher is not always better obviously. If the 2 inch springs are more, great, that's fine. The 5/8ths boom shackles you divide by 2, so in reality its just a hair above 1/4 inch lift on the shackles of total height gain. So say you get 2.5 inches out of the springs..1/4 inch out of the shackles..1 inch BL. Probably somewhere 3.5 inches minimum of lift. Then the flares as mentioned, calculate that in. That will be plenty for now for what you are doing. You might not need the t-case drop, I just did it just in case.
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

3.5" sounds good
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think you will need the body lift. All I have is a 2" suspension lift (advertised as a 1.5" but I think it's 2"). I am running TreadWright 31" inch tires and have no trouble. I mentioned TreadWright because they actually measure 31". My old "31" inch tires only measured 29". I am running a rim with better backspacing then the stock rims and I have TAG flares but I have no rubbing issues at all. I am going to go with the greasable 5/8 boom shackles in the near future. Here is how mine looks with just the lift and the 31"s:

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
jeepKY
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You won't need the body lift to fit 31s. I have a 2.5" suspension lift, stock shackles, and a homemade tcase drop and it have lots of clearance with the stock fenders and flares.
jeepKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The body lift is more of a want then a need for me and it would give me one more inch when I need it. Not worried about clearing 31's when I already can stock. Plus the jeep is not rusty at all so I think I am a good candidate. One of the bonuses of having the jeep in AZ and CA its whole life.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.