Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2 alternators, wiring?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tonka 
#1 ·
does anyone know how to wire in a second alternator into a 1995 yj w/ 2.5 4cyl. w/o a/cond.? 6 KC daylighters 100w ea 2000 w peak stereo, cb, 55/90w headlights,55w foglights, & winch . i already know that 1 90 amp alternator can't handle that much draw,. how would i wire in a second alternator without frying my electrical system? Would a second alternator help? any diagrams and advice would be appreciated. (i already have 2nd alt. for a spare.) I'm going through them like water. (but both are lifetime gauranteed hehe.) im getting tired of changing them.

#2 ·
Why not get a aftermarket alterantor that's 140amps or higher. Unless you are using everything at once then I wouldn't worry about it. In most cases you won't have more than one or two of those things on at once. Stock alternator is about 83amps. The option alt. is 113amps or so. Premier Welder and Mean Green make then up to 170amps and up. If you're burning them up then I'd try to figure out why. Is the alternator always charging? Can you hear it whine as it's trying to keep up? What size battery are you using? Could be that you're just using cheap alternators.

#3 ·
With my headlights, fog lights, heater(live in michigan), and stereo all on , at idle, my voltage drops to 10.2v, and the amp meter burries its self over 150. when wheelin at night, it will stall out if 2 of the kc's are on. i've heard of people wiring in a second alternator, and already have a 2nd one , both lifetime guaranteed, and would hate to spend alot for a high output aftermarkket one. are the mean green , or premeir alts. lifetime guaranteed?
they are NAPA's top of the line alternators.

#4 ·
You would be better off with a high output alternator ( aftermarket or otherwise ) and possibly a second battery on an isolator to run some of your accesories off of ,I know of very few vehicles with a second alternator that did not hav more problems than it was worth you essentially have to create a second isolated electrical system within your Jeep including running isolated grounds to keep the systems from shorting each other out,Its a mess.A high Output Alt and an isolated secondary battery are all easily avialable aftermarket and wont set you back a third mortgage and will work .
Any attempts I've seen at the second alt ended badly - one in a total loss fire !
if you do it find someone who understands dc power very well and automotive systems better.Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.