2.5l tech question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5l tech question

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
miramichimudder
1992 YJ Wrangler 

2.5l tech question

My 2.5 in my 1990 YJ is putting oil out the top end. Not alot just you can smell it all the time when you are driving burning off the block. I am changing the valve pan gasket today just so I know that it is not that. But I am noticing alot of wetness on top of the valve cover, on and around the oil fill plug, same with the pvc valve and what ever the other thing is plugged into the back of the cover. You can even see it some on the underside of the hood. I am not real familiar with the little 4 banger so I would like to hear some opinions about this. Is it noramal to not be able to pour oil in the fill hole with the motor running because it will blow back out in your face?

Also there seems to be a **** pile of vacum lines running everywhere are there any that I can get rid of? And what is that other thing that plugs into the valve pan cover some sort of vent or emmissions control it also has a rubbber line hooked to it.

Thanks again from a Jeep Newbie.

miramichimudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
jeeepfan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Let me guess lots off miles on the little guy, I too have a 90 yj it did the same thing, mine has about 320,000 k on it , but if you replace all the seals around the filler plug and the pvc that should help rubber breaks down and has gotten hard and has started to bypass oil hope this helps good luck.
jeeepfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Mugzz819
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine did the same thing....I found a few problems. One was the valve cover gasket, a mechanic friend of mine replaced it for me but didn't torque it down exactly to spec so it kept on leaking. Apparently they're a little finicky with that. I just reseated it and went and bought the stupid inch/lb torque wrench that I haven't used since Another thing I noticed was oil leaked from the PCV area, new grommet and PCV valve fixed that for now. Although finding the right valve sucks, the ones they kept giving me at Pepboys was way too long and always popping out. Third, make sure your oil filler plug is tight enough, I ended up getting a new one and wrapping some teflon tape around it to make it nice and snug. It's a pain but it can be at least reduced, and think of the rust protection
Mugzz819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
miramichimudder
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, nice to see that I am not the only having problems with an ole YJ. Mine has 330,000km on her. I fixed some vacum leaks today and replaced the pcv and reinstalled the valve pan gasket with some rtv silicone. It seems to be holden out for now, but I will look into replacing the gromets, can they be purchased at any auto parts store?
miramichimudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
Mugzz819
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I ended up going to the dealer for the grommet because nobody at my autoparts store could tell me which one I needed or they didn't have it. I later saw them on 4wd.com but it was only like $4 at the dealership so why bother paying for shipping?
Mugzz819 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.